Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
This collection includes a copy of Days Not Forgotten, a memoir of Barwick O. Barfield's World War II experiences as a navigator with the Army Air Forces in the European theater and a prisoner of war.
A photograph and identification tag of Bill Luttrell from his time as a prisoner of war during World War II.
This collection consists of correspondence regarding a World War II prisoner of war who was a member of the 106th Infantry Division in 1945. It also contains the Railsplitter newspaper from May 1945.
This collection includes the typed recollections of Clyde W. Bradley’s World War II service, including his crash landing and time as a prisoner of war in Germany.
In this interview, Edgar C. Wilson discusses the end of his service in World War II and his postwar life in Knoxville, Tennessee.
This collection includes a typed copy of Statement of Capt. Harry H. Mittenthal which details Mittenthal's experience as a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II from 1942 to 1945.
This collection consists of correspondence between J. Harold Harveston, a radioman in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and his parents. It also contains an undated newspaper clipping regarding Harveston from the Knoxville News Sentinel.
Transcription of an oral history conducted with James J. Akins, who served as a pilot during World War II in the European theater. Akins was captured by German forces in 1944 and held for almost a year as a prisoner of war. During his service, he performed in several important raids on German forces. In his interview, he dictates experiences from before, during, and after the war.
This collection consists of Dr. Jerome Jacobs' World War II memoirs, entitled Some Came Home. The bulk of the material documents the years from 1941 to 1945. Dr. Jacobs, a fighter pilot veteran, recounts his experiences training as a pilot, his involvement in combat and in Operation Market Garden, and some of his experiences as a prisoner of war.
This collection contains a narrative of John H. “Corky” Moulton’s experience as a prisoner of war in Germany and Austria during World War II.
Copies of the Maryville-Alcoa Times and The Tennessean with featured articles on prisoner of war camps during World War II.
This collection includes a copy of "Liberation," dictating Robert Asquith's time as a prisoner of war during World War II and his liberation. It also contains one copy of a First Lutheran Church (Knoxville, Tenn.) service bulletin with names and addresses of church members serving during World War II and a section for letters from soldiers, including a letter from Asquith.
This collection contains military documents, phtographs, and publications regarding Robert C. Jackson, a pilot in the Air Force during World War II.
This collection contains eleven American propaganda pamphlets aimed at encouraging Japanese troops to surrender during World War II. These pamphlets are written in Japanese with English translations attached.
This collection includes one copy of The Japanese Story, research and recollections of Stanley Sommers' World War II experiences as a prisoner of war.
This collection includes recorded interviews with World War II veterans. In addition to their wartime experiences, veterans are asked about their upbringing, their lives before entering the service, and their attempts to readjust to civilian life after discharge. Information regarding theatre, branch and interviewer have been included when available. Transcripts are available for some interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 6
- United States. Army Air Forces. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 4
- World War, 1939-1945. 4
- United States. Army. 3
- United States. Navy. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 3
- Oral history -- United States. 2
- Prisoners of war 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 2
- Agricultural education. 1
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Prisoners of war -- Germany. 1
- Prisoners of war -- United States. 1
- Stalag Luft III. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Fighter Group, 364th. 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Propaganda. 1 ∧ less
- English 17
- Japanese 1