Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 28
This collection includes a copy of Days Not Forgotten, a memoir of Barwick O. Barfield's World War II experiences as a navigator with the Army Air Forces in the European theater and a prisoner of war.
A photograph and identification tag of Bill Luttrell from his time as a prisoner of war during World War II.
This collection consists of correspondence regarding a World War II prisoner of war who was a member of the 106th Infantry Division in 1945. It also contains the Railsplitter newspaper from May 1945.
In this memoir, entitled "Why Me?," Bill Fulk describes his experiences before, during, and after World War -- with a strong emphasis on the time he spent in German Concentration camps.
This collection includes the typed recollections of Clyde W. Bradley’s World War II service, including his crash landing and time as a prisoner of war in Germany.
This collection houses official congratulatory victory letters, translated German newspapers, secret military reports from corps artillery headquarters, German POW Interrogation reports, confidential G-2 reports, and other World War II ephemera collected by Captain Coleman E. Baird of Tennessee between 1944 and 1945.
The Crossville P. O. W Camp Collection, 1942-1981 consists primarily of newspaper clippings and copies of photographs. Also included in the collection is a history of the Camp property and correspondence and a memoir compiled by a former camp guard.
This collection features resources about the Prisoner of War camps in Crossville and Tullahoma, Tennessee. Including personal narratives, documents, and later recounts and analyses, these materials present information and understanding of these two camps during WWII.
In this interview, Edgar C. Wilson discusses the end of his service in World War II and his postwar life in Knoxville, Tennessee.
This collection includes a typed copy of Statement of Capt. Harry H. Mittenthal which details Mittenthal's experience as a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II from 1942 to 1945.
Written from a WWII Prisoner of War Camp in Tennessee in 1943, this collection consists of a single letter from Obergefrieter Heini Ackermann to his wife back in Germany.
This collection consists of correspondence between J. Harold Harveston, a radioman in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and his parents. It also contains an undated newspaper clipping regarding Harveston from the Knoxville News Sentinel.
Transcription of an oral history conducted with James J. Akins, who served as a pilot during World War II in the European theater. Akins was captured by German forces in 1944 and held for almost a year as a prisoner of war. During his service, he performed in several important raids on German forces. In his interview, he dictates experiences from before, during, and after the war.
This collection consists of Dr. Jerome Jacobs' World War II memoirs, entitled Some Came Home. The bulk of the material documents the years from 1941 to 1945. Dr. Jacobs, a fighter pilot veteran, recounts his experiences training as a pilot, his involvement in combat and in Operation Market Garden, and some of his experiences as a prisoner of war.
This collection contains a narrative of John H. “Corky” Moulton’s experience as a prisoner of war in Germany and Austria during World War II.
This collection consists of three items demonstrating the impact of World War II on Middle Tennessee.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 17
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 12
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 10
- World War, 1939-1945. 7
- United States. Army Air Forces. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 5
- Prisoners of war -- United States. 4
- United States. Navy. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 4
- Prisoners of war -- Germany. 3
- United States. Army. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 3
- Camp Forrest (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Crossville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Crossville Internment Camp (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Oral history -- United States. 2
- Prisoners of war 2
- Prisoners of war -- Tennessee -- Crossville. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 2
- Agricultural education. 1
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Germany. Luftwaffe -- History -- World War, 1939-1945. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Military training camps -- Tennessee. 1
- Prisoners of war -- Philippines. 1
- Stalag Luft III. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Fighter Group, 364th. 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 84th. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Military intelligence -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Tennessee. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less