Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 31
Arthur B. Cox Jr.’s “Escape through Enemy Territory”
This collection includes one photocopy of Arthur B. Cox Jr.’s autobiography, “Escape through Enemy Territory.” The story details Cox’s service with the U. S. Army Air Corps during World War II in the European Theater, including his experience of being shot down over France, spending time with a French family before escaping to Spain, and spending a month in a Spanish prison before being rescued.
Barwick O. Barfield Memoir
This collection includes a copy of Days Not Forgotten, a memoir of Barwick O. Barfield's World War II experiences as a navigator with the Army Air Forces in the European theater and a prisoner of war.
Ben Franklin Oral History
This collection consists of three interview transcriptions with Ben Franklin on from 2004-2005 by G. Kurt Piehler, John B. Romeiser, and Braum Lincoln Denton. In the interviews, Franklin details his childhood in Knoxville, TN and his service in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Cecil B. Staley Papers
These papers document Cecil Staley’s service with the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Included are Staley’s typed accounts of his missions in Japan from December 1944 to July 1945.
Charles E. Kneen Pearl Harbor Account
This collection includes a three-page typed account from Charles Kneen of his experiences in Hawaii and at Pearl Harbor in November and December 1941.
Claus Mann Collection
This collection features Claus Mann's brief memoir on his experience in the 35th Field Hospital serving on the North African front during World War II.
Clinton E. Riddle Oral History
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
Donald L. Askerman Collection
This collection contains one copy of "My Forties," Donald L. Askerman's typed memoir of his experiences during World War II.
Edgar Wilson Collection
This collection houses a published history of the 80th Division detailing its training and combat experiences, several photos of a veteran's reunion, a photograph of Edgar Wilson, and correspondence documenting veterans' associations. One memoir recalls Captain Sam Williams.
Edgar Wilson Oral History
The Edgar Wilson Oral History, 2003-2004, is a typescript of an oral history interview with Edgar Wilson by Dr. Kurt Piehler, Greg Kupsky, and Patrick Leverton of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on Wilson's World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
Edward Feagins World War II Memoir
The Edward Feagins World War II Memoir, 1943-1946, entitled A Country Boy in World War Two chronicles Feagins's experiences in World War II. The narrative covers drafting, boot camp, war, and his return home.
Edward Laughlin World War II Memoir
This collection consists of Edward P. Laughlin's WWII Memoir A Paratrooper's Journey, written in 1999. He describes his initial Army experiences during basic training, jump school, and demolition school. He also discusses his combat action, including his part in the Battle of the Bulge, and his role in the Berlin occupation.
Edward Williamson Collection
The Edward Williamson Collection, 1945, consists of a book compiled by Williamson entitled Wild Tales of the Blue Yonder. The book contains stories of 21 pilots who graduated from the Army Air Corps Class of 1945-B.
Elmore Allen Green Collection
This collection features a copy of Elmore Allen Green's recollections of his time in the US Air Force serving in the European theater during World War II.
Erwin B. Bigger Oral History
These two VHS tapes contain a recording of an oral history by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Erwin B. Bigger. In it, Bigger discusses his early life and his service with the U. S. Army as a paratrooper during World War II and the Korean War.
Fox Family Collection
This collection features one copy of The Story of the Lewis and Marjorie Fox Family of Big Springs written by their eldest daughter, Judy Elizabeth Fox Knoblock. Featuring the personal narratives of Lewis and Majorie, Judy provides a recollection of their family's history, particularly during the Great Depression and World War II.
Frank Baghetti Collection
This collection includes a copy of World War II soldier Frank Baghetti's memoir, "As I Witnessed World War II," along with aa photograph of Baghetti's plane, "Hubba Hubba."
George Remaley Collection
Photographs and papers documenting George Remaley's service in the European Theatre with the 9th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army during World War II.
James J. Akins Collection
Transcription of an oral history conducted with James J. Akins, who served as a pilot during World War II in the European theater. Akins was captured by German forces in 1944 and held for almost a year as a prisoner of war. During his service, he performed in several important raids on German forces. In his interview, he dictates experiences from before, during, and after the war.
James "J. D." Blankenship Jr. Collection
This collection contains documents, correspondence, and photographs belonging to James David "J. D." Blankenship Jr., a private in the U.S. Army during World War II.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 18
- United States. Army. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 8
- World War, 1939-1945. 8
- United States. Army Air Forces. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 6
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 3
- Oral history -- United States. 2
- United States. Army. Division, 80th. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 2
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Germany -- History -- 1945-1955. 1
- Jefferson City (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Prisoners of war 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops -- History -- World War, 1939-1945. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Transport Command. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (Heavy), 466th. 1
- United States. Army. Airborne Division, 82nd. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 10th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 78th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 143rd. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 83rd. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 504th. 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- Netherlands. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women. 1 ∧ less