Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
In this report, Winfield E. Thompson provides a condensed history of the 360th AAA Searchlight Battalion, which served in the US Army from 1942 June 9 to 1944 December 15. The unit trained at Camp Stewart, Georgia and went on to participate in the North African and Italian campaigns, where they were charged with the illumination of enemy aircraft for the anti-aircraft (AA) defense of … cities. In 1944 December, the unit was dismantled and absorbed into other formations.
This collection consists of a number of World War II-era aerial photographs of Bologna, Italy and surrounding areas, taken in March and April 1945 by the U. S. Army's 423rd Field Artillery Group. They show potential targets and the results of artillery shelling by American forces, including destroyed buildings and fields covered with craters.
These two VHS tapes contain a recording of an oral history by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Erwin B. Bigger. In it, Bigger discusses his early life and his service with the U. S. Army as a paratrooper during World War II and the Korean War.
This collection features one copy of The Story of the Lewis and Marjorie Fox Family of Big Springs written by their eldest daughter, Judy Elizabeth Fox Knoblock. Featuring the personal narratives of Lewis and Majorie, Judy provides a recollection of their family's history, particularly during the Great Depression and World War II.
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
This spiral-bound manuscript contains a wealth of text and photographs documenting the service of the 86th Fighter Squadron (then assigned to the 79th Fighter Group) in Africa and Italy during World War II.
This memoir (richly illustrated with copies of original photographs) documents Henry Kent's service as a pilot in North Africa and Italy during World War II. Kent discusses such subjects as the planes in use during World War II, the day-to-day operations of his unit, and the activities of his various friends while capturing the hardship, fear, and humor of the situation.
This collection houses a copy (on CD) of Henry W. Kent's memoirs documenting his experience with the 86th Fighter Squadron (then assigned to the 79th Fighter Group) in North Africa during World War II. It contains detailed descriptions and photographs (many in color) of their service.
This collection houses photocopies of official documents and newspaper clippings showing the numerous awards and honors that Lieutenant Hilston Kilcollins earned for his bravery under fire during World War II.
Documents related to Joseph A. Boles' World War II service with the U. S. Army in North Africa and Italy. The collection includes a typed record of service and a typed narrative account as well as photocopies of photographs, correspondence, certificates, and a newspaper clipping.
This collection includes photographs, U.S. Naval Forces and Eleventh Amphibious Force documents, newspaper excerpts about Robert G. Osborne and his fellow men, and a brief personal narrative from Osborne about his experience in World War II.
A typescript copy of Robert S. Crouse’s memoir, “There I Was…The Wartime Memoir of a Junior Birdman.” This story details Crouse’s time with the U. S. Army Air Corps from his basic training to his service as a bomber pilot in the Mediterranean Theater during World War II.
This collection consists of a handwritten Tennessee soldier's memoir recounting his experience in the Navy during World War II. He tells of travels to Africa, Iran, Italy and Spain.
- Subject: World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. X
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 4
- United States. Army. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 3
- United States. Air Force -- History. 2
- United States. Navy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945. 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- United States. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Airborne Division, 82nd. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 504th. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Iran. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Reconnaissance operations, American. 1 ∧ less