Tennessee -- Religion.
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
This collection consists of fourteen love letters written by Alice Clement to her husband Reverend Andrew E. Clement of Nashville, Tennessee.
This collection contains the minutes taken from the meetings of the Christian Endeavor Union from 1926-1932.
This ledger records the names of the teachers and students who participated in the classes offered through the Concord Sabbath School in 1838, 1857, and 1858.
E. S. Chesbrough wrote this letter to H. M. Nelson, a civil engineer in Faytteville, North Carolina, from Knoxville, Tennessee on June 12, 1837. In it, Chesbrough describes spending the night with a local family in a small cabin, mentions his duties as a surveyor, and discusses some church matters. This collection also houses a typewritten transcript of the original letter.
The Episcopal Bishops Collection, 1858-1956, contains letters, envelopes, printed portraits, and other materials related primarily to bishops of the Episcopal Church's Diocese of Tennessee. Included are notes and a lengthy letter from James Hervey Otey, the first Bishop of Tennessee.
This collection contains the minutes taken from Nashville's First Presbyterian Church's Woman's Guild from 1901-1922.
A pamphlet printed in 1830 of Reverend Frederick A. Ross' "A Sermon on Intemperance," given in Knoxville, Tennessee a year prior.
This collection consists of the minutes of meetings of Goodfield Baptist Church (Meigs County, Tenn.) from 1827-1852. These documents are copies of the originals; the copies were made in 1964.
The Henry Cherry Letters, 1864-1865, contain nine letters from Cherry, a Chaplain with the 10th Michigan Cavalry in the Civil War, to Amos Gould of Owosso, Mich., describing both military and civilian life in the Union Army during the Civil War. The majority of these letters were written from Knoxville, Tenn.
The History Department Records contains records from the University of Tennessee's Department of History, dating between 1934-1970. The collection covers when the history department was part of the Department of History and Political Science, when it split into a single department in 1941, and became formally established as the Department of History in 1946.
The collection consists of an eight-page document about the history of Methodism in the Corryton community of Knox County, Tennessee.
A single handwritten letter from James J. Vauln in LaGrange, Tenn. to General Ulysses S. Grant in Memphis, Tenn. dated June 23, 1862. Vauln, a deacon of the American Catholic Church in LaGrange, pleas for permission to continue his church services, as the new brigadier general had forced him to stop holding services.
The James K. P. Sayler Papers, 1857-1943, contain correspondence, writings and speeches, bills, contracts, and other papers related to the life of Sayler, a Confederate soldier stationed in Vicksburg, MS, during the Civil War and a teacher Romeo, Tenn. Among the topics discussed are pre-Civil War politics (particularly in Missouri), military life and movement during the war, and educational and religious theory.
This collection contains Martha Lampson Missionary Society's minutes from April 1944 to November 1947.
This collection consists of a book of minutes for the Methodist Episcopal Church in Knoxville, Tenn.
Record book of the Speedwell (later Big Valley) Circuit's Morristown (later Powell's Valley) District in East Tennessee, part of the Holston Conference of the United Methodist Church. The book contains minutes from most of the quarterly meetings from 1868 to 1883, as well as the articles of their constitution, bylaws, and rules of order for the circuit.
This collection consists of a book of minutes for meetings of the Luminary Baptist Church (Rhea County, Tenn.) from 1819-1839.
This collection includes a single typed manuscript, "Rhea Springs," written by Amanda Neal Wheelock. In the thirty-two page document, Wheelock details the cultural history of Rhea Springs, Tennessee, as remembered by the author. Heavily focusing on the Rhea Springs Church, she also describes its congregation and their individual lives, which paints a detailed picture of the people and life of Rhea Springs.