Shelby County (Tenn.) -- History.
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
This indenture, made on December 5, 1822 and proven in January 1825, divides a 5,000 acre tract of land in Shelby County, Tennessee, between John Overton, James Winchester, Andrew Jackson, William Winchester, and George Winchester.
The John C. McLemore Collection, 1820-1993 (bulk 1820-1822), consists primarily of McLemore's logbook from 1820-1822, which includes entries on bank balances, purchases, notations of travel, and other information. Also included in the collection are four articles from the Commercial Appeal (Memphis), dated 1974 and 1991-1993.
This collection houses a land grant from East Tennessee College to the Trustees of land in Shelby County, Tennessee signed by Governor William Carroll in Murfreesboro on January 25, 1825 and an indenture to Trustees (including land in Knoxville) signed by Charles H. McClung on December 16, 1827.
In this bill of sale, dated August, 1850, William H. Stokes transfers his ownership of a family of five ensalved people to L. Cook and R. B. Hanley of the firm of Cook & Hanley in Shelby County, Tenn. The family consists of Charles, aged 26 or 27 years, Anna his wife, aged 20 years, and their three children, Nelly about 4 years old, Betty about 3 years old, and a female infant.
This collection contains a single receipt for tumblers dated June 22, 1888 from William Jack & Sons to J. M. Allen of Blue Springs, Mississippi.
This manuscript describes the political life of former Governor of Tennessee Winfield C. Dunn. The bulk of the text deals with the 1970 Republican Gubernatorial Primary and the subsequent Gubernatorial race in the State of Tennessee.