Cyril Kay-Scott's Blind Mice Manuscript
The Cyril Kay-Scott's Blind Mice Manuscript includes his hand-written undated manuscript Blind Mice. Each of the five delicate volumes is covered with rewrites. This book achieved critical success but was eclipsed by his wife Evelyn Scott's novel The Narrow House, which was published in the same year, 1921.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.2 Linear Feet
The Cyril Kay-Scott's Blind Mice Manuscript includes his hand-written undated manuscript Blind Mice. Each of the five delicate volumes is covered with rewrites.
Cyril Kay-Scott (1879-1960) was born Frederick Creighton Wellman. After four children and two marriages, he eloped on December 26, 1913, to New York City with native Tennessean Evelyn Scott (born Elise Dunn, 1893-1963). Because he was still married, they changed their names and moved to Brazil, where they had a son named Creighton Jigg Scott in 1914. In 1919, the family returned to New York City. Cyril published Blind Mice and Evelyn published The Narrow House in 1921. In 1922, Owen Merton, a family friend, persuaded him to start a new career as a watercolorist. Then, after extensive travel throughout Europe, Cyril and Creighton returned to America in 1928, when he filed for divorce from Evelyn. Cyril moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico and opened an art school. Between 1931 and 1934, he was director of the Denver Art Museum, and then he and Creighton worked on a Works Progress Administration project. Life is Too Short, the autobiography of Cyril Kay-Scott, was published in 1943.
Collection consists of five folders.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA