Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Sanford, Chamberlain, and Albers Check

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2541

This collection contains a single check dated May 5, 1892 from the Knoxville, Tennessee drug company Sanford, Chamberlain, and Albers in the amount of forty dollars and seventy-six cents to a Mr. M. Roberts.

Dates

  • 1892 May 5

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection contains a single check dated May 5, 1892 from the Knoxville, Tennessee drug company Sanford, Chamberlain, and Albers in the amount of forty dollars and seventy-six cents to a Mr. M. Roberts.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Knoxville drug firm Sanford, Chamberlain, and Albers was founded in 1872. Edward Jackson Sanford, who moved to Knoxville from Connecticut in 1853, worked as a carpenter, contractor, and partner in a lumber firm prior to the United States Civil War. When Confederates seized Knoxville, Sanford and his wife, Emma Chavannes fled to Kentucky to join the Union Army. Rejected from service due to an illness, Sanford and his wife spent a few years in Connecticut before returning to Knoxville after Union forces under General Ambrose Burnside had captured the city. In Knoxville, Sanford joined the Union Army and fought in the Battle of Fort Sanders. As a result of the war, Sanford extended his business interests and organized the drug firm of E. J. Sanford and Company in 1864. Sanford quickly became a wealthy and influential citizen of Knoxville. In 1872, he saw an opportunity to increase his business by merging his firm with the Albers and Chamberlain Drug Company. The new company changed its name to Sanford, Chamberlain, and Albers and became one of the leading drug companies in the industry. Sanford, Chamberlain, and Albers would serve as a vibrant part of Knoxville's business community for one hundred years. The company's name was shortened to Alber's Drug Company in 1926 and remained in the hands of the Albers family until 1994 when it was sold to the Walker Drug Company in Birmingham, Alabama.

Arrangement

Collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

This collection was purchased by the University of Tennessee Libraries, Knoxville, Special Collections in March 2004.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480