Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Conner Burnette Collection of Knox County, Tennessee Land Deeds

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2819

This collection contains seven land deeds and six land grants from Knox County and, specifically, Knoxville, Tennessee. Two of the land grants are signed by governors of Tennessee, William Carroll in 1839 and William B. Campbell in 1852. Another land grant is signed by John Sevier. Two clerks, M. S. Patterson and R. A. Brown signed the Clerk and Master's Deeds.

For similar collections, see MS.1965: Thomas Humes Papers, 1804-1808, and MS 2624: Wolfe Creek (Cocke County, Tenn.) Land Deeds, 1817-2003 (bulk 1817-1874) .

Dates

  • 1808, 1835-1879, 1901, 1924, 1939

Language

English

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection contains seven land deeds and six land grants from Knox County and, specifically, Knoxville, Tennessee. Two of the land grants are signed by governors of Tennessee, William Carroll in 1839 and William B. Campbell in 1852. Another land grant is signed by John Sevier. Two clerks, M. S. Patterson and R. A. Brown signed the Clerk and Master's Deeds.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1786 James White built a fort on the southernmost edge of frontier settlement in present-day East Tennessee. William Blount, governor of the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio (also called the Southwest Territory), selected the site of White's fort as the capital in 1791 and gave it the name Knoxville in honor of Revolutionary War hero General Henry Knox. Governor Blount created Knox County, also named for Henry Knox, from parts of Greene and Hawkins Counties on June 11, 1792. Knoxville has served as the county seat from the county's creation. Knox County currently contains 509 square miles. The Tennessee River originates near the center of the county from the union of the Holston and French Broad Rivers.

Governor Blount designated Knoxville as the capital of the Southwest Territory from 1791 to 1796. Knoxville also served as the capital of the State of Tennessee from 1796 to 1812 and briefly in 1817-18. General John Sevier, a resident of Knox County, served as governor of Tennessee (1796-1801, 1803-1809). No state capitol building was constructed until 1845 on the present building in Nashville, so the general assembly met in taverns and public buildings. Blount Mansion, the home of Governor Blount, is the only National Historic Landmark in the county.

Arrangement

Collection consists of two folders.

Acquisition Note

Collection purchased in October 1989.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480