Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Agricultural Extension Service Collection

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0160

This collection houses materials documenting the University of Tennessee's Agricultural Extension Service.

Dates

  • 1938-1947

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses materials documenting the University of Tennessee's Agricultural Extension Service.

Biographical/Historical Note

The original College Farm, which consisted of 100 acres around Morgan Hall, was purchased in 1869. The program's first students were enrolled in 1871. The School of Agriculture and Experiment Station was established as a separate department in 1882, and the Experiment Station was reorganized under the Hatch Act in 1887. A number of substations were established around the state in the early 1900s, and the original Knoxville Station was enlarged through the purchase of Cherokee Farm in 1913. Later, the School collaborated with the Tennessee Valley Authority on a number of projects, including a statewide soil survey. Today, the program continues to conduct innovative research with worldwide applications.

Arrangement

Collection consists of four folders.

Acquisition Note

Collection was transferred to University Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480