Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Blount College Tuition Receipt

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0201

This collection houses a receipt showing that William Clay paid Blount College eight dollars of tuition for his son, Clement Clay, on May 6, 1805. This document has the distinction of being the oldest known item in the University of Tennessee Archives.

Dates

  • 1805 May 6

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses a receipt showing that William Clay paid Blount College eight dollars of tuition for his son, Clement Clay, on May 6, 1805. This document has the distinction of being the oldest known item in the University of Tennessee Archives.

Biographical/Historical Note

Named for Tennessee Governor William Blount, Blount College was founded in 1794 by Samuel Carrick, the school's president and only faculty member. For thirteen years, the non-sectarian school offered classes in literature and philosophy, but served to be little more than a preparatory school for children of the wealthy. Blount College became East Tennessee College in 1807, closed due to lack of funds in 1809, and reopened again in 1820. It became East Tennessee University in 1840, and finally was renamed the University of Tennessee in 1879 as the official university of the state of Tennessee.

Clement Comer Clay (1789-1866) was one of a few dozen students who attended Blount College. He graduated in 1807 and served as Governor of Alabama from 1835 to 1837.

Arrangement

Collection consists of one folder.

Acquisition Note

Collection was donated to University Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480