Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Horace C. Smith Papers Regarding the College of Agriculture

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0204

This collection houses materials that Dr. Horace C. Smith gathered while writing a history of the University of Tennessee's Agriculture program entitled Honored Calling: A History of the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. Although the work was compiled in preparation for the University's bicentennial celebration in 1994, Dr. Smith's death delayed the final product until 1999.

Series I: Publications, 1889-1974 houses Agricultural Experiment Station bulletins from the late 1800s (including articles like Weeds of the Farm,The Chinch Bug,A Chemical Study of the Cotton Plant, and Grasses of Tennessee, Part II), leaflets and circulars, and a document from the UT-AEC Agricultural Research Laboratory at Oak Ridge outlining some of the radiation experiments being done on plants and animals in the 1960s.

Series II: Research Materials, 1930-1994 includes unpublished histories of the University and the Institute of Agriculture, newsletters, correspondence, articles, and notes on the department's history.

Series III: Audio-Visual Materials, 1924-1964, undated houses photographs, slides, and 3.5-inch and 5.5-inch disks containing Smith's research files. The photographs depict such subjects as students, faculty (including portraits of Harcourt Morgan, Charles Dabney, and O. P. Temple), the University campus, experiments, the University of Tennessee Farm, and the East Tennessee Farmers Convention. A collection of the older photographs were used in a Farmer's Convention exhibit entitled Century of Progress in 1961. The slides date from the mid to late 20th century and show such subjects as the University campus, the University Farm, and farming in other states.

Among the oversized materials are drawings of Morrill Hall, editions of the Tennessee Farmer and Homemaker (1961), and a scrapbook composed primarily of newspaper articles documenting the Agricultural College and Experiment Station.

Dates

  • 1889-1994

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

6 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses materials that Dr. Horace C. Smith gathered while writing a history of the University of Tennessee's Agriculture program entitled Honored Calling: A History of the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. Although the work was compiled in preparation for the University's bicentennial celebration in 1994, Dr. Smith's death delayed the final product until 1999.

Biographical/Historical Note

Horace Coleman Smith was born to Horace Coleman and Robbie Lee (Gault) Smith in Cornersville, Tennessee on October 23, 1918. He completed his BS degree (1942) at the University of Tennessee before joining the U. S. Army, where he served as a commander of German POW camps. He returned to his education after the war, completing his MS (1952) at the University of Tennessee and studying at Purdue University and Virginia Polytechnic and State University. Smith began teaching agriculture at the University of Tennessee in the late 1940s, where he remained until retiring in 1979. After retirement, he continued to work with the 4-H Club and taught photography to senior citizens. Smith died on December 28, 1994.

The original College Farm, which consisted of 100 acres around Morgan Hall, was purchased in 1869. The program's first students were enrolled in 1871. The School of Agriculture and Experiment Station was established as a separate department in 1882, and the Experiment Station was reorganized under the Hatch Act in 1887. A number of substations were established around the state in the early 1900s, and the original Knoxville Station was enlarged through the purchase of Cherokee Farm in 1913. Later, the School collaborated with the Tennessee Valley Authority on a number of projects, including a statewide soil survey. Today, the program continues to conduct innovative research with worldwide applications.

Arrangement

This collection consists of four boxes divided into four series:

Missing Title

  1. Series I: Publications, 1889-1974
  2. Series II: Research Materials, 1930-1994
  3. Series III: Audio-Visual Materials, 1924-1964, undated
  4. Series IV: Oversized Materials,

Acquisition Note

These materials were donated to the University of Tennessee Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480