Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Office of the Provost Correspondence

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0398

This collection houses correspondence created by the Office of the Provost or its equivalent between 1973 and 1991. During this time, the office was occupied by George W. Wheeler (1924-2002). The earliest and latest materials in the collection were created by the Provost's predecessor and successor Offices.

Dates

  • 1973-1991

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

35 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses correspondence created by the Office of the Provost or its equivalent between 1973 and 1991. During this time, the office was occupied by George W. Wheeler (1924-2002). The earliest and latest materials in the collection were created by the Provost's predecessor and successor Offices.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Office of the Provost was created in 1983 in response to a report by the UT Knoxville Task Force on Institutional Assessment, which argued that a Provost would allow for better coordination of UT's academic functions and clarify responsibility for funding. The new office was placed in charge of planning undergraduate and graduate programs, recommending allocation of funds to academic units, establishing academic priorities, making academic appointments, and giving promotion and tenure recommendations. These tasks had previously been the responsibility of the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor of Graduate Studies and Research. The office's first (and only) occupant was George William Wheeler (1924-2002). The position was abolished when Chancellor John Quinn took office in 1989 and not reconstituted until the late 1990s.

Arrangement

This collection consists of thirty-five boxes.

Acquisition Note

These records are the property of the University of Tennessee's Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480