Neyland Stadium Photographs
This collection contains three 8 x 10 photographs of Neyland Stadium taken from the west side bleachers during the mid-1960s. These images include interiors of the east and south sides of the stadium as well as sections of surrounding Knoxville. One picture includes the back of Barbara Blount Hall (razed 1979), Perkins Hall, and Ferris Hall and another shows the Tennessee River and the Henley Street Bridge as well as the tower of the old power plant. Dr. Harold Diftler of Knoxville, Tennessee took all of the photographs.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains three 8 x 10 photographs of Neyland Stadium taken from the west side bleachers during the mid-1960s. These images include interiors of the east and south sides of the stadium as well as sections of surrounding Knoxville.
A permanent grandstand, with a projected cost of $20,000, was erected at Shields-Watkins Field in 1921. It initially had seating for 3,200. The Athletics Association headed its expansion in 1925, adding two new rows of boxes as well as 59 rows of extra seating on the west side. East side construction added 3,800 seats and dressing rooms.
On October 27, 1962, the stadium was dedicated to football coach General Robert R. Neyland. By 2000, the stadium seated 104,079. In 2013, its official capacity was 102,455, making it the third-largest college stadium in the United States (behind Penn State and Michigan). It is one of only two major football stadia accessible by water (the stadium at the University of Washington is the other).
Collection consists of a single folder.
Collection was donated to University Archives.