Department of Chemistry Program Review Records
The Department of Chemistry Program Review Records (1992 May 13, 1998 January 14-1999 September 14) contain checklists, memorandums, a self-study document, and summaries from the 1998 Department of Chemistry internal academic review at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The records review plans of action, address recommendations, and summarize discussions in response to these plans and recommendations. The self study document is a comprehensive overview of the history of the department, the degrees offered, current research programs, budget and funding profiles, strategic plans, and faculty biographies.
- 1992 May 13
- 1998 January 14-1999 September 14
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.3 Linear Feet
The Department of Chemistry Program Review Records (1992 May 13, 1998 January 14-1999 September 14) contain checklists, memorandums, a self study document, and summaries from the 1998 Chemistry Department internal academic review at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
The University of Tennessee's Department of Chemistry dates back to at least 1825 when President David Sherman bought $500 worth of chemical equipment for East Tennessee College. The Department's first Professor, Reverend Lucius F. Clark, was appointed in 1838. Students were taught by lecture and demonstration until student laboratory work was introduced in the mid-19th century. When East Tennessee University became the University of Tennessee in 1879, the chemistry curriculum was altered considerably and a full major was created. Charles Dabney further improved the program, increasing the number of staff, constructing a new science building, developing an extensive research program, and creating a BS program. The department began granting PhD degrees in 1947, and today offers respected graduate and undergraduate programs.
This collection consists of three folders.
The Department of Chemistry transferred these records to University Archives.