McMinn County Deeds and Indentures
This collection consists of a survey map pertaining to the purchase of "Walker Mill Reservation" and four deeds all from McMinn County, Tennessee. The deeds date from 1847-1869.
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
In 1819, the Tennessee General Assembly created McMinn County, Tennessee, named for Governor Joseph McMinn, after gaining Cherokee lands from the Hiwassee Purchase. Calhoun was established in 1820 as the county seat, but three years later, the seat moved to Athens. Construction began on the first railroad in 1837, which led to creation of new towns, for example Etowah (1905). Following World War II, corporations established major plants in McMinn County, and educational opportunities increased with the opening of Cleveland State Community College. Mayfield Dairy Farms and Tennessee Wesleyan College also draw recognition to the county today.
This collection was acquired by Special Collections in 1963.