Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Smoky Mountain Railroad Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0424

The correspondence and financial records of the Smoky Mountain Railroad number approximately 4,500 items and occupy 7.5 linear feet of shelf space. The material covers the operation of the Smoky Mountain Railroad from 1938 to 1963. The collection includes correspondence, financial records, bank statements, payroll reports, agents' reports and profit and loss statements. There are also two ledgers for 1909-1912 and 1925, a record book for 1926, and a cash book for 1944-1945. Containers one through three are organized into subject files. They are divided by years into correspondence and record files. Box four contains assorted reports and five holds the ledgers and record books.

Dates

  • 1909-1963

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

7.5 Linear Feet

Abstract

The Smoky Mountain Railroad Collection includes correspondence, financial records, bank statements, payroll reports, agents' reports and profit and loss statements. There are also two ledgers for 1909-1912 and 1925, a record book for 1926, and a cash book for 1944-1945.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Smoky Mountain Railroad was incorporated in 1926. It acquired property from the Knoxville and Carolina Railroad and ran between Knoxville and Sevierville, Tennessee, for a total of 27.08 miles. After many years of failing to show a profit, the Interstate Commerce Commission allowed the Smoky Mountain Railroad to cease operations in March 1964.

Arrangement

Collection consists of five boxes.

Acquisition Note

The Smoky Mountain Railroad Collection was donated to The University of Tennessee Library in July 1968 by Mr. William Robert Rogers of Seymour, Tennessee.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480