Carolyn P. Brown Photographs
The three photographs in this collection portray three different individuals. In the largest image, placed on a cardboard backing, Carolyn Brown is pictured with her daughter Alice. In the second-largest image, the individual is not explicitly stated on the back, but presumably is the daughter Alice, based on facial features in the first image. The smallest image is also placed on a cardboard backing similar to the largest image and pictures Carolyn's granddaughter Marshall. All three of these images are perserved in Mylar and are contained in one folder in the collection.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains three photographs of Carolyn P. Brown, her daughter Alice, and her adopted daughter/granddaughter Marshall. None of these photos are dated, but the names of the individuals pictured in them are written on the back of two pieces of the collection. Carolyn P. Brown lived in Knoxville, Tennessee and married her second husband, John Scruggs Brown, in 1900. Upon her death, the trust fund given to her by her husband upon his death was used to establish the Carolyn P. Brown University Center in 1954.
Carolyn P. Brown married her second husband John Scruggs Brown (1857-1934) in 1900 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Carolyn was not an alumna of the University of Tennessee but her husband, John Scruggs Brown, graduated from UT's Preparatory Department in 1877. John's father George Brown was also a trustee at East Tennessee University and the University of Tennessee. John Brown had invested in the company of a colleague and established a trust fund to take care of Carolyn, her daughter Alice, and her adopted daughter/granddaughter Marshall upon his death. It was explicity stated in his will that if there were no heirs left to receive the fund, it would first go to establishing a girls' school in Carolyn's name. If that was not possible, the fund would then go to the University of Tennessee. The deaths of both Alice and Marshall preceeded Caroyln's own death in 1949, leaving no heirs for the fund. The University of Tennessee was able to convince New York trustees and lawyers that the fund's best use was at the University of Tennessee. This estimated $1.5 million fund was used to construct the Carolyn P. Brown University Center in 1954.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA