Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Brief History of Tapoco and the Great Smoky Country

 Collection
Identifier: MS-3884

This pamphlet by J. Elmer Housley covers the history of Tapoco, Inc., a subsidiary of the Aluminum Company of America, and its developments in the Appalachian Mountains from 1910 to 1945. It also discusses the terrain of the Appalachian Mountains, as well as the history of the area beginning in 1540.

Dates

  • 1957 July

Language

The materials in this collection are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Abstract

This pamphlet by J. Elmer Housley covers the history of Tapoco, Inc., a subsidiary of the Aluminum Company of America, and its developments in the Appalachian Mountains from 1910 to 1945. It also discusses the terrain of the Appalachian Mountains, as well as the history of the area beginning in 1540.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Alcoa Aluminum Company, previously the Aluminum Company of America, opened its plant in Maryville, Tennessee in 1914. The town incorpated as Alcoa, Tennessee in 1919. Since its founding, the Alcoa Aluminum Company has been active in community public works projects. The Tapoco Project (originally Tallassee Power Company) was a project of the Aluminum Company of America that included four dams in Tennessee and North Carolina. These dams supplied power to the company's operations in Alcoa, Tenn.

J. Elmer Housley (January 9, 1893 - January 10, 1962) earned a degree in electrical engineering at the University of Tennessee in 1915. From 1915 to 1923 Housley worked for the Aluminum Company of America in Illinois and Missouri, and returned to Tennessee as the assistant district electrical superintendent for the Alcoa location. Housley served as president of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers from 1946 to 1947.

Arrangement

This collection consists of one folder.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480