Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Department of Chemistry Records

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0033

This collection consists primarily of correspondence and shows the operations of the University of Tennessee's Department of Chemistry between 1918 and 1927. Of particular interest are the materials documenting the construction of new laboratory facilities in Science Hall during the early 1920s.

Dates

  • 1918-1927

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

1.8 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection consists primarily of correspondence and shows the operations of the University of Tennessee's Department of Chemistry between 1918 and 1927. Of particular interest are the materials documenting the construction of new laboratory facilities in Science Hall during the early 1920s.

Biographical/Historical Note

The University of Tennessee's Department of Chemistry dates back to at least 1825 when President David Sherman bought $500 worth of chemical equipment for East Tennessee College. The Department's first Professor, Reverend Lucius F. Clark, was appointed in 1838. Students were taught by lecture and demonstration until student laboratory work was introduced in the mid-19th century. When East Tennessee University became the University of Tennessee in 1879, the chemistry curriculum was altered considerably and a full major was created. Charles Dabney further improved the program, increasing the number of staff, constructing a new science building, developing an extensive research program, and creating a BS program. The department began granting PhD degrees in 1947, and today offers respected graduate and undergraduate programs.

Arrangement

This collection consists of eighteen folders.

Acquisition Note

These records are property of the University of Tennessee's Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480