Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Gideon J. Pillow Letter
In a letter dated August 7, 1847, from Pueblo, Mexico, to James W. Breedlove in New Orleans, La., Major General Gideon J. Pillow, brigade and division commander in the Mexican War, defends himself against political attacks by Whigs.
John M. Crockett Diary
Second Tennessee Cavalry Regiment Journal
A member of Captain Caswell's company, the Second Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, kept this handwritten journal between April 9 and May 4, 1847 while the unit was stationed in Mexico during the Mexican-American War. In it, the author describes their participation in the Battle of Cerro Gordo. Also included is a muster roll for the company dated March 4, 1847.
W. G. McAdoo Diary
In this diary, W. G. McAdoo describes his service in the Mexican-American War (1846-1848), including his company's participation in the invasion of Mexico's eastern coast, the Mexican landscape, his encounters with the local population, troop movements, and the Battle of Vera Cruz (March 1847). This manuscript is a bound typescript of the original document.
William Gibbs McAdoo Diary Extracts
Two versions of William Gibbs McAdoo's diary documenting his life from 1846 to 1894. McAdoo wrote this diary and series of letters during the Mexican War, Civil War, and through his later years until 1894. Volume 1 is the draft version of the compilation of these extracts and Volume 2 is the final version.
William Jay Smith Autobiographical Sketch
In this autobiographical sketch, William Jay Smith describes his military career and ends with his election to the Tennessee Senate in 1867.
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Campaigns -- Mexico. 2
- Mexican War, 1846-1848. 2
- Cerro Gordo, Battle of, Mexico, 1847. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Politicians -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Veracruz (Veracruz-Llave, Mexico) -- History. 1 ∧ less