Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Benton L. Thompson Siege of Knoxville Letter
This Civil War letter was written by Benton L. Thompson of the Union Army, and contains general details of his journey to Knoxville, Tennessee by railway and by foot for the Siege of Knoxville.
C. Perry Goodrich Letter
C. Perry Goodrich wrote this letter to his wife, Frances (Bowen) Goodrich, in Christiana, Wisconsin on March 13, 1864. In it, Goodrich describes the recent battle for Knoxville and mentions that both the Union and Confederate Armies are living on hardtack and coffee due to extreme lack of supplies.
C. Perry Goodrich Letter
C. Perry Goodrich of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry wrote this letter from a camp near Kingston, Tennessee on December 12, 1863. In it, he discusses Longstreet's clash with Burnside in the Knoxville campaign and mentions rumors that are circulating, including one stating that Gen. Crook with the 2nd Div. Cav. has defeated the Rebel Gen. Wheeler.
Elizabeth Baker Crozier Journal
John W. Cleland Letter
This collection houses a letter that John Cleland wrote to his sister, Mary J. Jennie Cleland, in Defiance County, Ohio from Knoxville, Tennessee on December 14, 1863. In it, he discusses his regiment's participation in the Battle of Knoxville, including the losses they suffered.
Robert A. Ragan Letters
This collection houses eight letters from Robert A. Ragan to his wife, Emeline (Neass) Ragan, during the Civil War. In them, Ragan discusses battles and skirmishes with the Rebels, describes the landscapes he has seen, relates his frustration with army life, mentions his fear of moving too far South, and comments on his unit's movements and actions. He also expresses his concern for his family and friends in Tennessee and asks Emeline to write to him and to pray for him in the struggle.
Watson B. Smith Letters
This collection houses two letters that Union soldier Watson B. Smith wrote to his mother, Mary Amanda (Birchard) Smith, on September 23, 1863 and October 1, 1863. In them, Smith discusses Union operations in the Knoxville Campaign, life in headquarters, and news from the Battle of Chattanooga.
Watson B. Smith Papers
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 2
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 2
- Soldiers -- Wisconsin -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Army. Corps, 23rd (1863-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865). 2
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Religious aspects. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women. 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 111th (1862-1865). 1
- Women -- Tennessee -- Diaries. 1 ∧ less