Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Civil War Photographs and Slides
The six photographs of this collection depict scenes of Union soldiers at Lookout Mountain and also war grounds along the Tennessee River and in Augusta, Georgia during the Civil War. The four lantern slides in this collection depict various Civil War battles and naval scenes.
Daguerreotype of Colonel Henry Ashby
Abstract This collection consists of a daguerreotype of Henry Marshall Ashby and a sketch to his plot in Old Gray Cemetery. Ashby was a colonel in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War. Ashby enlisted in the Confederate States on July 6, 1861 at Knoxville, Tennessee, organized a company cavalry, was elected captain, and was assigned to the 4th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion which became part of the 2nd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. Although he was sometimes referred to as an acting brigadier...
Dr. C. S. Boyd Photograph Collection
Abstract This collection consists of 55 photographs of African-Americans in the Knoxville, Tenn. area during the early 20th century. Many are of Dr. Charles S. Boyd, his dental office, and his family. Others include other individual or group portraits and school photographs. Most of the photographs are either mounted for framing or enclosed in the paper envelopes provided by the photographer. Several include writing on them identifying the individual(s) shown and/or the studio that created the image....
Dates: 1913, 1924, undated
"The Civil War Through the Camera"
Abstract This collection consists of a 1912 paperback booklet entitled "The Civil War Through the Camera" containing text by historian Henry W. Elson and photographs taken by Matthew Brady and others. This booklet is the sixteenth and final part of a series documenting the Civil War, particularly through photographs, and is subtitled, "The Last Invasion of Tennessee, Franklin and Nashville, the Fall of Petersburg, Appomattox and Lee's Surrender." This final part covers the end of the war, including...
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Photographs. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- African American physicians -- History. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Dentists -- Tennessee. 1
- Fraternal organizations. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Lookout Mountain (Appalachian Mountains). 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Nashville, Battle of, Nashville, Tenn., 1864. 1
- Photographers -- Tennessee. 1
- Photographs -- 19th century. 1
- Photographs -- 20th century. 1
- Portrait photography -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee River -- Pictorial works. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pictorial works. 1 ∧ less