Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Alfred Gruber wrote this letter to his father, Joseph Gruber, from Chattanooga, Tennessee on July 18, 1865. In it, he discusses the aftermath of the war in Chattanooga and wonders whether he should accept the government's offer of a bounty in exchange for five years of service.
This letter was written by an unidentified Civil War soldier to his parents in September of 1863. In it, he describes Union troop movements around Chattanooga and the hardships of crossing the river and marching. The letter may have been written by Private Andrew G. Wickham and was approved by Milton Weaver, whose papers may be found in MS.2128.
This collection consists of one letter written by Corporal George Gates to his aunt. It was written from his regiment's camp located to the left of Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 26, 1863. He re-counts for his aunt the Battle of Lookout Mountain on November 25, 1863. He mentions his regiment's movements, acquisitions, and casualties in the battle.
Jacob H. Bickley wrote these three letters, dated 1863 December 14, 1864 January 13, and 1865 June 13, to his sister Martha Mattie Bickley in Ohio from the field in Tennessee. In them, he discusses his involvement in the Battle of Chattanooga and other military duties, family life, and his attempts to send money home.
James Nemeth wrote this poem, entitled Remembering Chattanooga, 1969 in 2007. In it, he discusses the 1863 Battle of Chattanooga.
In this diary, John Ibaugh writes primarily of his movements between Philadelphia and Washington D.C. during the closing months of the Civil War. He also describes his service at the Battle of Nashville, the Battle of Chattanooga, and the Union Army's final march in Washington, D.C.
This collection houses two letters that Union soldier Watson B. Smith wrote to his mother, Mary Amanda (Birchard) Smith, on September 23, 1863 and October 1, 1863. In them, Smith discusses Union operations in the Knoxville Campaign, life in headquarters, and news from the Battle of Chattanooga.
- Subject: Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. X
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 6
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 3
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863 -- Poetry. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Assassination. 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Nashville, Battle of, Nashville, Tenn., 1864. 1
- Poets, American -- 20th century. 1
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Pennsylvania -- Diaries. 1
- United States. Army. Corps, 23rd (1863-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 74th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, 29th (1861-1865). 1 ∧ less