Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
Ada Larew Papers
This collection consists of the personal papers of Ada Campbell Larew and includes manuscripts, historical essays, poems, plays, and short stories authored by Larew. Also available are personal correspondence, press clippings, and memorabilia.
Chief Nunna Hi-Diha Pathkiller Letter
This appeal bond on behalf of Cherokee Chief Nunna Hi-Diha Pathkiller was signed by Return J Meigs III, Pathkiller’s acting attorney. The material included in the collection is an appeal bond to the Supreme Court at Knoxville. The case was a contest over the title to lands settled by the Blair Family in what is now Loudon, Tennessee. Ultimately, the courts sided with the Blair Family.
Colonel Return J. Meigs Biographical Sketches
This collection consists of two papers written by William H. Thomas on Colonel Return Jonathon Meigs and the Eastern Cherokee Claims.
Indian Factories Cash Book
This book, titled Cash Book for Monies belonging to the Cherokee Indian Factories, contains a listing of debits and credits to Cherokee Indian factories in Tellico, Tennessee and Coleraine, Georgia from March 10, 1797 to April 26, 1798.
James Collingsworth Account
This collection contains one detailed bill from 1797 for James Collingsworth for "smith work done by him for the Cherokee" as he was ordered to do by General Robertson.
John Williams Letter to Col. Gideon Morgan
This collection features a letter from John Williams to Col. Gideon Morgan regarding relations between the Cherokee Indians and the U.S. government.
Joseph Anderson Letter
Joseph E. Clemm Journal
Joseph E. Clemm began this diary on June 22, 1819 with the intention of making the gift of this journal to him [the reader] at some future period. The early part of this work is devoted to Clemm's activities in Augusta, Georgia. Later on, Clemm describes a trip to Tennessee to collect an overdue debt, during which he passes through the Cherokee Nation.
Kenneth Palmer Papers
This collection contains material collected during the excavation and archaeological research conducted of Fort Loudoun, TN in the 1950s and 1960s. In addition, there are a few documents from Knox County, TN from the late 18th century and the early 19th century concerning property and land ownership.
Laura Thornburgh Collection
This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, articles, newsclippings, pamphlets, and books concerning author Laura Thornburgh and her book, The Great Smoky Mountains.
Return J. Meigs Letter
This collection consists of a single letter dated April 14, 1812 from Return J. Meigs to John Strothers in Nashville, Tennessee. Meigs writes about his concern that both the Chickasaw and Cherokee rights are being violated by the United States government over land grants.
Sampson Williams Letter
In this letter to Colonel David Henley (then serving in Knoxville as the War Department's agent in charge of Indian Affairs), Sampson Williams reports a number of robberies that he believes were committed by Cherokee Indians.
Sampson Williams Letter
In this letter to Andrew Jackson (then serving as a Senator from Tennessee), Sampson Williams asks his friend to use his influence to prevent Congress from converting Fort Blount into an unarmed trading post.
- Subject: Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee. X
- Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee -- History. 7
- Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee. 6
- Cherokee Indians -- History. 2
- Cherokee Nation. 2
- Account books. 1
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Women. 1
- Appalachian Region. 1
- Blacksmiths -- Tennessee. 1
- Blount Mansion (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Georgia -- History. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Industries. 1
- Cherokee Indians. 1
- Chickasaw Indians -- Tennessee. 1
- Cumberland Gap (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Excavations (Archaeology) 1
- Fort Loudon (Tenn. : Fort) 1
- Fort Sanders, Battle of, Knoxville, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Franklin (Tenn.) -- History 1
- Georgia -- Description and travel. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.). 1
- Historic preservation -- Tennessee. 1
- Historic sites -- Tennessee. 1
- Indians of North America -- Tennessee. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.). 1
- Monroe County (Tenn.) 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Shelbyville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Southern States -- History. 1
- Tennessee -- Description and travel. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 18th century. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1783-1809. 1
- Women authors, American -- 20th century. 1
- Women authors, American -- Southern States. 1
- Women authors, American -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less