Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
Dutch and Margaret Ann Roth Papers
This collection consists primarily of approximately 8,000 photographs of the Great Smoky Mountains and the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club taken by Albert Gordon Dutch Roth between 1916 and 1960. It also houses a number of photographs taken by Dutch Roth's daughter, Margaret Ann Roth, and a variety of print materials (including correspondence, announcements and invitations, programs, and maps) documenting the SMHC.
A. Randolph Shields Collection
Alice Brehm Williamson Elkmont Collection
This collection documents the last years of the Wonderland Hotel and village at Elkmont, spanning from the 1970s until the area's closure in 1992. It details the ownership arrangement of the land and leases of the buildings as well as the history of the community. Included are correspondence, records, photographs and newspaper columns concerning the Elkmont community and the Wonderland Hotel.
Carson Brewer Articles
This collection contains 45 items, mainly articles written by Carson Brewer for the Knoxville News-Sentinel from 1959 to 1992. Most of the articles contain local stories about history and people's experiences or activities.
Earl M. Albertson Genealogical Research
This collection houses photographs, stories, records, and publications documenting the people of Greenbrier Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains. Among the family names discussed are Huskey, Ogle, Whaley, Reagan, Stinnett, Albertson, Dodgen, Bohannon, Shultz, and Ingle. The majority of the photographs are modern copies; the existence and location of the originals is not known.
Fink Mountain Days Manuscript
Great Smoky Mountains National Park Oral History Collection
This collection contains oral histories about the Great Smoky Mountains National Park through interviews of people who lived in the area in the early twentieth century. These interviews were conducted by students from the University of Tennessee in Anthropology and Appalachian Folklore classes.
Ilene Jones Cornwell Papers
Jim Casada Collection of Horace Kephart and George Masa
This collection houses correspondence, photographs, publications, newspaper clippings, and other materials that Jim Casada collected during his research into the lives and work of Horace Kephart and George Masa.
Lucinda Ogle Collection
Lynn Faust Papers Regarding Elkmont
This collection consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, newsletters, publications, legal and financial documents, petitions, membership lists, and more for clubs, organizations, and historical notes related to the town of Elkmont in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. These documents are representative of Lynn Faust's participation in efforts to preserve Elkmont.
Peter H. Prince Papers
Ruth Ewald Collection Regarding the Great Smoky Mountains
This collection houses Smoky Mountains Hiking Club Handbooks, newsletters, pocket maps, and guides to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park assembled by Ruth Z. Ewald.
Save Our Cumberland Mountains (SOCM) Records
This collection houses annual reports (1982-1986; 1983 missing), copies of the SOCM Sentinel (1983-1987), a brochure, and copies of two stories published in the Knoxville News-Sentinel (1986-1987) documenting the Tennessee activist group Save Our Cumberland Mountains (SOCM).
Smoky Mountains Hiking Club Records
This collection consists primarily of bulletins, photographs, song sheets, member information, and other materials documenting the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club. Also included are a few issues of the Georgia Mountaineer, three guidebooks to various areas of the Smoky Mountains, and materials describing the building of a transmountain road in the 1960s and the passage of the 1964 Wilderness Bill.
Wilma Dykeman Papers Concerning Highland Homeland
This collection consists of papers, deeds, contracts, tax receipts, manuscript drafts, audio tapes, research notes, and correspondence related to the publication of Highland Homeland: The People of the Great Smokies written by Wilma Dykeman and son, James R. "Jim" Stokely III, published in 1978.
Wolf Creek Papers
This collection documents the Allen family and, to a lesser degree, the Peck family of Wolf Creek, Cocke County, Tennessee. Materials consist primarily of correspondence in the form of personal letters, envelopes, telegraphs, and postcards. In addition, there are wills, legal and business papers, newspaper clippings, photocopies, photographs, negatives, a glass negative, a book, an herb/wildflower journal, several periodicals, land deeds, and surveys.
- Subject: Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- History. X
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Pictorial works. 8
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- History. 8
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Pictorial works. 5
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Guidebooks. 3
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Guidebooks. 3
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.). 3
- Elkmont (Tenn.) 2
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Social life and customs. 2
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.). 2
- Tennessee -- History. 2
- Wonderland Hotel 2
- Arizona -- Pictorial works. 1
- Asheville (N.C.) -- History. 1
- Cades Cove (Tenn.) 1
- Cemeteries -- Southern States. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Southern States. 1
- Del Rio (Tenn.) 1
- Dowsing. 1
- Environmental issues. 1
- Gainesville (Fla.) 1
- Gatlinburg (Tenn.) 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Genealogy. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Maps. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Environmental conditions. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Maps. 1
- Greenbrier (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Jacksonville (Fla.) 1
- Journalists -- Tennessee. 1
- Maryville College -- History. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Oakland (Tenn.) 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Post office stations and branches -- Tennessee. 1
- Railroad stations -- Tennessee. 1
- Southern States -- Genealogy. 1
- Southern States -- Pictorial works. 1
- Strip mining -- Environmental aspects -- Tennessee. 1
- Telegraph -- Employees 1
- Tennessee, East. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Wolf Creek (Tenn.) 1 ∧ less