Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Alex Haley Papers
This collection houses manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, cassette tapes, videotapes, trial transcripts, and other materials documenting Alex Haley's literary career. Of particular interest are those materials showing Haley's Roots and the subsequent plagiarism trials related to the book.
Dr. C. S. Boyd Photograph Collection
Abstract This collection consists of 55 photographs of African-Americans in the Knoxville, Tenn. area during the early 20th century. Many are of Dr. Charles S. Boyd, his dental office, and his family. Others include other individual or group portraits and school photographs. Most of the photographs are either mounted for framing or enclosed in the paper envelopes provided by the photographer. Several include writing on them identifying the individual(s) shown and/or the studio that created the image....
Dates: 1913, 1924, undated
Solomon Porter Petition
Abstract This petition to the County Court of Shelby County, Tennessee was prepared by an unknown lawyer on behalf of a free man of color named Solomon Porter. Porter, a native of Tennessee, assures the court that he desires to seek employment in Shelby County in order to adequately support his family. He hopes to remain in the area so that his numerous acquaintances may assist him in finding employment, aided by his industry, sobriety, and honesty. The document is signed by Porter and a notation on...
Dates: circa 1844
Union League of America Circular
This circular was distributed before the Tennessee gubernatorial election of 1868 in order to explain why the Conservative Party of Tennessee and their candidate, Emerson Etheridge, should be neither elected nor believed.
Dates: circa 1867
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 3
- African American authors. 1
- African American physicians -- History. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Dentists -- Tennessee. 1
- Elections -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Fraternal organizations. 1
- Free African Americans -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Tennessee. 1
- Free African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Photographers -- Tennessee. 1
- Photographs -- 20th century. 1
- Portrait photography -- Tennessee. 1
- Shelby County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slave trade -- United States -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Southern States. 1
- Tennessee -- Genealogy. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century. 1 ∧ less