Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
George W. Douglas Letter
In a letter written February 4, 1865 from the Officers' Hospital in Knoxville, Tenn., to Colonel Cross, George W. Douglas writes concerning his desire for an artifical leg to help him walk.
Dates: 1865 February 4
Jacob Rowland Letters
Abstract This collection consists of two letters from Union soldier Jacob Rowland to his sister, Olive. The first letter, dated January 26, 1865, is sent from Knoxville, Tenn., where Rowland reports of "...quiet times here in Knoxville just now occasionally review as inspection we moved our camp last Tuesday. We were on the south side of the river about 1 1/2 miles from the city. Now we are quartered inside of the breast works right in the suburbs..." The second letter, dated February 20, 1865, is...
Dates: 1865 January 26-February 20
John McNickle Laird Collection
John McNickle Laird, Jr. of the Ohio 124th Infantry Regiment (U. S.) writes to his mother, Julia Laird, from a camp near Knoxville, Tennessee and from Marietta, Georgia.
John W. Hammer Letter
While encamped in the Cumberland Ford area of Knox County, Tenn., John W. Hammer serving in the 16th Ohio Infantry Company K writes to a friend named Annie. In this letter dated June 4, 1862, he describes the fortifications that are in place to protect them from the Confederates. His company moves toward the Confederate camps and skirmishes occur.
Dates: 1862 June 4
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 3
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Heavy Artillery Regiment, 2nd (1863-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 124th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 16th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 1 ∧ less