Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Allen J. Clifton Letter
In this letter to his mother (written near Knoxville, Tennessee), Allen Clifton reports on his unit's position and supplies, describes the weather, mentions that he is in good health, inquires about the health and doings of family members and friends, and asks for some postage stamps. He also asks about the returned veterans and solicits his mother's opinion of his decision not to re-enlist.
C. Perry Goodrich Letter
C. Perry Goodrich wrote this letter to his wife, Frances (Bowen) Goodrich, in Christiana, Wisconsin on March 13, 1864. In it, Goodrich describes the recent battle for Knoxville and mentions that both the Union and Confederate Armies are living on hardtack and coffee due to extreme lack of supplies.
C. Perry Goodrich Letter
C. Perry Goodrich of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry wrote this letter from a camp near Kingston, Tennessee on December 12, 1863. In it, he discusses Longstreet's clash with Burnside in the Knoxville campaign and mentions rumors that are circulating, including one stating that Gen. Crook with the 2nd Div. Cav. has defeated the Rebel Gen. Wheeler.
George W. Douglas Letter
In a letter written February 4, 1865 from the Officers' Hospital in Knoxville, Tenn., to Colonel Cross, George W. Douglas writes concerning his desire for an artifical leg to help him walk.
Henry Cherry Letters
The Henry Cherry Letters, 1864-1865, contain nine letters from Cherry, a Chaplain with the 10th Michigan Cavalry in the Civil War, to Amos Gould of Owosso, Mich., describing both military and civilian life in the Union Army during the Civil War. The majority of these letters were written from Knoxville, Tenn.
Jacob Rowland Letters
John McNickle Laird Collection
John McNickle Laird, Jr. of the Ohio 124th Infantry Regiment (U. S.) writes to his mother, Julia Laird, from a camp near Knoxville, Tennessee and from Marietta, Georgia.
John W. Cleland Letter
This collection houses a letter that John Cleland wrote to his sister, Mary J. Jennie Cleland, in Defiance County, Ohio from Knoxville, Tennessee on December 14, 1863. In it, he discusses his regiment's participation in the Battle of Knoxville, including the losses they suffered.
John W. Hammer Letter
While encamped in the Cumberland Ford area of Knox County, Tenn., John W. Hammer serving in the 16th Ohio Infantry Company K writes to a friend named Annie. In this letter dated June 4, 1862, he describes the fortifications that are in place to protect them from the Confederates. His company moves toward the Confederate camps and skirmishes occur.
Robert Neville Letter
Robert Neville wrote this letter to his wife, Mary (Atkinson) Neville, while he was serving with Company E of the 103rd Ohio Infantry near Knoxville, Tennessee. He tells his wife that his health is good, describes the region's enthusiastic reception of Union Soldiers, and expounds upon his religious views.
Watson B. Smith Letters
This collection houses two letters that Union soldier Watson B. Smith wrote to his mother, Mary Amanda (Birchard) Smith, on September 23, 1863 and October 1, 1863. In them, Smith discusses Union operations in the Knoxville Campaign, life in headquarters, and news from the Battle of Chattanooga.
Watson B. Smith Papers
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 11
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 5
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 4
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 3
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- Soldiers -- Wisconsin -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Army. Corps, 23rd (1863-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865). 2
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Maryville College -- History. 1
- Tennessee -- Religion. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 10th (1863-1865). 1
- United States. Army. New Hampshire Infantry Regiment, 11th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Heavy Artillery Regiment, 2nd (1863-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 103rd (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 111th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 124th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 16th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 1
- War -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. 1 ∧ less