This collection houses photographs, legal documents, correspondence, blueprints, and other materials documenting the history and donation of Hopecote to the University of Tennessee. The photographs include views of the interior and exterior of the house, as well as the surrounding gardens, and the Hopecote Advisory Committee. The legal documents include renovation plans, appraisal information and forms, and donor information. It includes brochures of the history of Hopecote and floor plans of the original house and gardens. The collection contains information from Betsey Creekmore, Associate Vice Chancellor of the University of Tennessee (1979-1989) who oversaw much of the donation and appraisal information, lists of house furnishings, plans for garden restoration, house restoration, brief biographies of owners, description of house and gardens, newspaper articles and correspondence regarding the garden renovations.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
2 Linear Feet (2 Boxes)
This collection houses photographs, legal documents, correspondence, blueprints, and other materials documenting the history and donation of Hopecote to the University of Tennessee. The images include exterior and interior views, the Hopecote Advisory Committee, donors, antiques, floor plans, and brochures. The legal documents include renovation plans, appraisal information and forms, and donor information.
John Franz Staub was commissioned by his aunt and uncle, Albert and Emma G. Hope to design Hopecote in 1921. The home was completed in 1924 at 1820 Melrose Avenue, in what was then a residential neighborhood. The home’s design was inspired by the cottage architecture of the Catswald district in England, which reflects Mrs. Hope’s fondness for the cottage revival style. Mrs. Hope was an early member of the Knoxville Garden Club, and she amassed a notable collection of a variety of plants. A privet hedge, tall shrubs, hydrangea, tulip trees and a concrete pond offer an illusion of the countryside in the midst of the university setting in Knoxville. Staub was a UT alumnus, famous for his work in the Arts and Crafts design movement. Hopecote has been featured in several prominent design and architecture magazines including, House Beautiful in 1925, The Architect, and Southern Architect and Builder.
The University of Tennessee purchased the house from Emma Hope in 1976 with the stipulation that she could live there until her death. In 1980, John Staub oversaw renovations to the house before his death in 1981. After renovation, Hopecote formally re-opened as a guest house for the University’s distinguished visitors and as a teaching laboratory for students in interior design, architecture, and ornamental horticulture. Hopecote is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of 110 properties in Knoxville listed on the register and is now eligible to display a marker from the National Park Service.
This collection consists of two boxes.
This collection was previously listed as AR. 0267 and AR.0538.
These records are the property of the University of Tennessee's Archives.