Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 25
This folder houses three account books containing lists of financial transactions. The two smaller books have notes about Wm Co, the smaller with entries in $100 increments and the larger only half full. The largest book has entries about livestock, cotton, and other agricultural transactions.
Alex Haley Papers
This collection houses manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, cassette tapes, videotapes, trial transcripts, and other materials documenting Alex Haley's literary career. Of particular interest are those materials showing Haley's Roots and the subsequent plagiarism trials related to the book.
Campbell Wallace Papers
This collection houses personal and professional correspondence documenting Campbell Wallace's involvement with insurance and property, requests for financial aid, references, verification of character, financial backing, railroads, private businesses, and stock companies.
Captain William E. Merrill's Rail Road Bridges and Tunnels Document
This collection contains a lithograph document compiled by Captain William E. Merrill in 1864 featuring records of bridges and tunnels along the railway between Georgia and Tennessee.
Carolina, Knoxville, and Western Railroad Circular
This circular provides “facts and figures showing why the voters of Knox County should vote for the subscription of $100,000 at the election, Saturday, October 29.” Specifically, it lists the assessed valuation for each district in Knox County and compares the needed tax to the potential gains in markets and other value.
Charles Watts Letter
Charles Watts wrote this letter to his sister, Helen M. Watts, from Nashville, Tennessee on October 11, 1813. In it, he describes his journey from Lexington to Nashville (including a saltpeter cave he visited and his meeting with Lorenzo Dow), responds to news that Helen Watts sent in her last letter, and asks after his family and friends.
Commission for Ascertaining and Adjusting the Boundary Line Between the States of Virginia and Tennessee
This collection consists of one handwritten document from 1804 by William Maclin pertaining to the boundary line between Virginia and Tennessee. It also includes a handwritten letter signed by John Sevier on July 11, 1804 confirming the validity of Maclin's document. Typed transcripts of both documents are also included.
Congressional Committee Report Regarding Willie Blount
This two page report, written by a select committee of the 1st session of the 18th Congress on February 24, 1824, discusses Willie Blount's claim for reimbursement of monies borrowed on behalf of Tennessee during the War of 1812.
Cumberland-Sequatche Railroad Collection
This collection houses 7 manuscript notebooks containing survey and engineering data.
East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad Records
The East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad Records Collection contains letters, legal papers, and receipts which document the development of a railroad connection between Knoxville and Virginia. Much of the material deals with a lawsuit for non-payment between the railroad and Jesse Crouch of Washington County, Tenn.
East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad Records
This collection contains documents from the Office of East Tennessee & Virginia Rail Road Company in 1854. Included is a dray ticket, a letter to James L. Coile and sons about money owed for shares of stock in the company, and copy of a resolution to the Board of Directors regarding stock money collection arrangements.
G. W. Young Letter
In a March 5, 1856 letter to his father in Chaplin, Conn., G. W. Young of Clarksville, Tenn. writes of the area's agricultural practices as well as the influence of a new railroad on coal mining and prices.
J. K. Womack Papers
This collection houses a wealth of material illustrating the lives of J. K. Womack and his family in Rutherford County, Tennessee during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Among the items included are land deeds, indentures, genealogical information, material documenting the Baptist Church, broadsides, and correspondence and other information describing Joseph A. Johnson's application for a pension.
John Fain Anderson Statements Regarding the Hoss Apple and Hoss Family History
Lenoir Family Papers
This collection houses financial papers, correspondence, land grants, and other materials documenting the Lenoir family of East Tennessee and North Carolina. These items describe the family's involvement with land in North Carolina and Tennessee, slavery, manufacturing, and the Confederate States of America.
Mississippi Central & Tennessee Railroad Bill of Lading
This bill of lading indicates that J. L. Moore consigned 10 bales of cotton to Fowlkes & Co. in Memphis, Tennessee at Loone's Station.
Nathan Southern, Hilary Hurst, and Joseph Lawhorn Bond Regarding Anderson
This bond lists Nathan Southern, Hilary Hurst, and Joseph Lawhorn as indebted to the State of Tennessee in the amount of $50.00 each to secure the appearance of Anderson, an enslaved person, before the court on December 19, 1856 to face a misdemeanor charge.
Papers of Andrew Johnson Project Records
Print of William Blount
This collection consists of a print of a sketch of William Blount etched by Albert Rosenthal in 1888.
Sam Tate Letter
This collection contains one letter written by Samuel Tate to an associate by the last name Gill about the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 12
- Railroads -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 8
- Slavery -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 3
- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century. 3
- Agriculture -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 2
- Railroads -- Georgia -- History -- 19th century. 2
- Railroads -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Account books -- Tennessee. 1
- African American authors. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Artists -- United States. 1
- Baptists -- Tennessee -- Clergy. 1
- Coal mines and mining -- Tennessee. 1
- Governors -- Tennessee. 1
- Indians of North America -- Relocation. 1
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 -- Bibliography. 1
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 -- Correspondence. 1
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 -- Impeachment. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Commerce. 1
- Legal documents -- Tennessee. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) 1
- Politicians -- Tennessee. 1
- Presidents -- Assassination -- United States. 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography. 1
- Railroads 1
- Railroads -- Employees. 1
- Railroads -- Mississippi. 1
- Railroads -- Southern States. 1
- Railroads -- Tennessee. 1
- Railroads -- United States. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877). 1
- Rutherford County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slave trade -- United States -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Southern States. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee -- Claiborne County. 1
- Tennessee -- Commerce. 1
- Tennessee -- Description and travel. 1
- Tennessee -- Genealogy. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 18th century. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Anecdotes. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Sources. 1
- Tennessee. General Assembly. House of Representatives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Engineering and construction. 1
- United States -- History -- War of 1812. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1849-1877. 1
- United States. Army of the Cumberland. 1
- United States. Congress -- History -- 19th century. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- History. 1
- Veterans -- Confederate States of America. 1
- Virginia -- History -- 1775-1865. 1
- Washington County (Tenn.) -- Genealogy. 1
- Washington County (Tenn.) -- History. 1 ∧ less