Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
This collection houses one photograph, titled "A Skin Game," depicting three African-American men playing (and humorously cheating at) a game of poker. Information printed on the photograph itself reads "Copyright 1896 by Knaffl & Bro, Knoxville, Tenn."
This collection houses manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, cassette tapes, videotapes, trial transcripts, and other materials documenting Alex Haley's literary career. Of particular interest are those materials showing Haley's Roots and the subsequent plagiarism trials related to the book.
This collection is made up of Gray Cemetery's original memorandum of interments covering the years 1851 to 1877. The back portion of the ledger includes a separate list of African Americans that were buried in the cemetery during the same time period.
This 248-page ledger book appears to be a nurse's patient record for the Helen Mae Lennon Hospital. Each entry includes the date, the patient's name, treatment instructions or progress, and a doctor's signature. Treatments are varied, but often feature castor oil, soda bicarb, soft diet, bed rest, and hot water bottles. Doctors' signatures include E. F. Lennon, M. L. Boyd, and S. M. Clark.
This collection houses a single magic lantern, or primitive projection, slide depicting Knoxville College's 1930 Junior class play.
Collection contains a single mounted photograph of the 1912 Lane College baseball team. The image depicts thirteen African American men including ten uniformed players and three men in suits. This photograph belonged to Arthur Riley, the catcher for the team. On the back of the mounting, the names of the players and their positions are written.
This collection houses correspondence, theater programs, circulars, scripts, musical compositions, reviews, minutes of club meetings, newspaper clippings, and personal photographs documenting the life and work of Malcolm McKay Bonner, an African-American man living in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1920s.
This collection houses three novelty photographs of African-Americans created by Knoxville photographers McCrary & Branson in the late 1890s. They display caricatures of African-Americans that are offensive and should be considered sensitive material. One photograph includes a caption with a racial slur.
This collection houses notebooks, photographs, clippings, certificates, and biographical information documenting Oliver Campbell Wallace and his immediate family.
Sarah Sally (Wells) Jackson wrote these letters between 1969 and 1970 while she was a new schoolteacher and librarian for Knoxville City Schools' Fair Garden School. In these letters, Wells highlights her experiences looking for and securing employment at the school, the trials and tribulations of running the school's library, and her home life with husband James J. J. Jackson, an employee of Miller's Department Store.
"Shall the Circle Be Not Broken: A History of the Circle Park Community" was written by Andrew C. Wicks for Dr. Bruce Wheeler's Knoxville History course at the University of Tennessee during spring quarter of 1985. The collection also features photocopies of maps of Circle Park as well as Dr. Wheeler's notes about the paper.
This circular was distributed before the Tennessee gubernatorial election of 1868 in order to explain why the Conservative Party of Tennessee and their candidate, Emerson Etheridge, should be neither elected nor believed.
- Subject: African Americans -- Tennessee. X
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 8
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 5
- African Americans -- Tennessee. 4
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 3
- African American college students -- Tennessee. 2
- African Americans -- Education. 2
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 2
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- African American Presbyterians. 1
- African American authors. 1
- African American farmers -- Tennessee. 1
- African American physicians -- History. 1
- African American teachers. 1
- African Americans -- Arkansas. 1
- African Americans -- South Carolina. 1
- African Americans -- Southern States -- Civil rights. 1
- Agricultural laborers. 1
- Architecture -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Beale Street (Memphis, Tenn.) 1
- Burial records -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Cemeteries -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Christianity -- United States. 1
- Civil rights -- Mississippi. 1
- Civil rights -- Periodicals. 1
- Civil rights -- Tennessee. 1
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- College sports -- Southern States -- History. 1
- Dentists -- Tennessee. 1
- Education -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Elections -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Fraternal organizations. 1
- Free African Americans -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Tennessee. 1
- Free African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Haywood County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Jackson (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- Genealogy. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Race relations. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Theater. 1
- Medicine -- History. 1
- Medicine -- Study and teaching. 1
- Medicine -- Tennessee. 1
- Mississippi Freedom Project. 1
- Music -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Photographers -- Tennessee. 1
- Photographs -- 20th century. 1
- Photographs. 1
- Portrait photography -- Tennessee. 1
- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) -- Clergy. 1
- Public schools -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Registers of birth, etc. -- Tennessee -- Knox County. 1
- School integration -- Southern States. 1
- School integration -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Segregation in higher education -- United States. 1
- Shelby County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slave trade -- United States -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Southern States. 1
- Southern States -- Social conditions -- Periodicals. 1
- Student movements -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- Church history. 1
- Tennessee -- Genealogy. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Theater -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Theater -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Urban renewal -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- X, Malcolm, 1925-1965. Speeches. Selections 1
- book manuscripts 1 ∧ less