Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Appalachia Photograph Album
This collection consists of one book containing photographs of intimate studies of the mountain people of Western Carolina and their handicrafts. Images include those of homes, farm buildings, farming activities and industries, and craft production. Inscribed: To Dr. Arthur E. Morgan, Chairman, Tennessee Valley Authority
Archibald D. Paul Diaries
This collection consists of two handwritten diaries belonging to Archibald D. Paul with daily recordings of his activity on his farm between 1834 and 1864.
Center for Developmental Change Reports and Articles
This collection houses three reports, Social Change in Eastern Kentucky since 1960 (1973), Changes in the Structure of Central Appalachian Families and Households, 1958-1976 (1983), and Revolution in Reproduction: Family Planning in an Appalachian Community (1985), produced by the University of Kentucky's Center for Developmental Change. Also included are two reprinted scholarly articles on similar topics.
Eleanor Dickinson Collection
The collection includes material related to Eleanor Dickinson's professional career, particularly her research and work surrounding the publication Revival!. Material include reference articles, items used in an exhibition on the work at Tennessee State Museum, and page proofs for the final book. Other material in the collection documents her other research as well as some personal letters and notes.
Frederick W. Henck Materials
This collection of F.W. Henck material includes his journal from 1886, a letter from Mr. Frederick William Henck to his mother from 1880, and a copy of "The Robert Campbell Story 1718-2011," a record of the goings-on of a church in which Mr. Henck was involved.
Huskey and Ogle Families Genealogical Booklet
This collection consists of a booklet containing information about the Huskey and Ogle families of Tennessee, including a copy of William Ogle's will, a brief history of William and Martha Jane (Huskey) Ogle's arrival in Sevier County, an essay on the early Huskey and Ogle families of Gatlinburg, an essay on the crafts and utensils that Thomas Stephen and Isaac Huskey made, a piece describing some Cherokee legends, and several biographical notices.
John K. Shields Speech
This collection consists of a transcript of a commencement address given by Senator John K. Shields in 1913 at Maryville College. Shields praises famous Appalachian settlers and the American constitution, warns of the growth of federal government, attacks immigration for threatening the American way of life, and denounces efforts at building Anglo-American friendship.
Joseph Marshall Krechniak and Helen Bullard Krechniak Papers
This collection contains manuscripts and published short stories of Joseph Marshall Krechniak as well as source materials for his writing, such as travel and military manuals. The collection also includes some materials relating to his wife, Helen Bullard Krechniak. Materials date from the 1930's to 2003. However, the bulk of the collection is from the 1930's and 40's.
Laura Thornburgh Collection
This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, articles, newsclippings, pamphlets, and books concerning author Laura Thornburgh and her book, The Great Smoky Mountains.
Mary Frances Davidson Book, Vegetable Dyeing of Wool in the Appalachian Highlands
This collection contains a book by Mary Frances Davidson, Vegetable Dying of Wool in the Appalachian Highlands, written in 1943.
Norbert F. Riedl Collection
The Norbert F. Riedl Collection includes research files on such topics as architecture, clothing and costume, cockfighting, food and cooking, games and recreation, legends, medicines and remedies, music, quilting, snake handling, and customs pertaining to marriage, divorce, death and burial. There is also material about the mysterious Melungeons of Hancock and Hawkins Counties and there is a group of tape recordings which relate to many of the file topics.
Pi Beta Phi Settlement School Photographs, Booklets and Other Materials
Pressmen's Home Technical Trade School Information Guide
This collection consists of an informational guide to the Technical Trade School, a college of printing, in Pressmen's Home, Tennessee.
Recipes, Remedies and Court Records
This bound volume consists of 80 pages of recipes, including many dessert recipes. The back of the volume contains several pages of notes on court cases, as well as a list of home remedies. The year 1906 appears on one page, but the whole of the volume is not dated.
Singer Manufacturing Company Orders
This collection contains two orders to the Singer Manufacturing Company in New York, New York from July 1867. The first order is a letter sent by George Tobler from Knoxville, Tennessee; Tobler describes his most recent purchase of two sewing machines and is ordering more bobbins and thread. The second order is an itemized list placed through Boston, Massachusetts.
Thomas Franklin Joyce Papers
This collection consists of the farm records and other agricultural-related items of Thomas Franklin Joyce who owned and operated two farms in Winchester, Tennessee for a period of nearly four decades.
Tracey Cline Research and Report
Wilma Dykeman and James R. Stokely Jr. Papers
The Wilma Dykeman and James R. Stokely Jr. Papers contain personal and family related material, correspondence, research material, manuscripts, and visual media pertaining to the life and works of author and historian Wilma Dykeman and her husband, poet James R. Stokely Jr. The collection spans 1807-2011 with the bulk of the material dating between 1934 and 2007.
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Religion. 4
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Women. 3
- Appalachian Region, Southern. 3
- Farm Life -- Appalachian Region, Southern. 3
- Appalachian Region -- History. 2
- Appalachian Region -- Social conditions. 2
- Appalachian Region. 2
- Farmers -- Tennessee. 2
- Handicraft -- Appalachian Region, Southern. 2
- Women authors, American -- Southern States. 2
- Agriculture -- Tennessee. 1
- American literature -- Southern States. 1
- American literature -- Women authors. 1
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Social life and customs. 1
- Authors, American -- Southern States. 1
- Authors, American -- Tennessee. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Cooking, American -- Appalachian Region. 1
- Court records -- United States. 1
- Diaries. 1
- Dyes and dyeing -- Wool. 1
- Education, Rural -- Appalachian Region. 1
- Families -- Tennessee. 1
- Folklore -- Appalachian Region. 1
- Folklore -- Tennessee, East. 1
- Franklin County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- United States. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Genealogy. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.). 1
- Labor unions -- Printing industry. 1
- Maryville College -- History. 1
- Medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions. 1
- Melungeons -- History. 1
- Mountain life -- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Pictorial works. 1
- Mountain people -- Appalachian Region, Southern – Pictorial works. 1
- Printers -- Appalachian Region. 1
- Revivals -- Appalachian Region, Southern. 1
- Rhea County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Serpent worship -- Southern States. 1
- Sevier County (Tenn.) -- Genealogy. 1
- Sevier County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Sewing. 1
- Snake cults (Holiness churches) -- Southern States. 1
- Tennessee, East -- Social life and customs. 1
- Traditional medicine. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1913-1921 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1953-1961. 1
- Women -- Southern States. 1 ∧ less