Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Charles Steele Documents
This collection consists of five letters written by Charles Steele, a soldier in Company D of the 53rd Regiment of Indiana Volunteers, between April 1, 1862 and August 10, 1863 in Savannah (Tennessee), Memphis (Tennessee), and Vicksburg (Mississippi) to his mother and sister. Also included in this collection is a letter to Steele's sister from her niece, Maggie, expressing concern for Charles Steele, as well as a color photocopy of Steele's Compiled Military Service Record (CMSR).
Job Barnard Letter
This collection contains a letter from Job Barnard to Flora Putnam, written from La Vergne, Tennessee on May 30, 1864. In it, he discusses his work on monthly reports to the War Department and singing for a sick Sergt. Henseley of Co H. Barnard also describes meeting local families and conversing with one woman about southern girls versus Yankee girls. He also talks about ladies who seem to like him or think he likes them.
Sgt. William A. Smith Letter to J. O. Jones
A letter was written by Sgt. William A. Smith, Co. B 71 Ind. 6th Cav., on October 5, 1863. He talks about Union occupation north of Knoxville, TN and the increased price of goods and foods in the Confederate states as oppsosed to the Union. He also writes about a brigade of women marching and carrying the U.S. flag. The letter was submitted to Mr. J. O. Jones, postmaster of Terre Haute, Indiana, in hopes that he could get it published in the local newspaper.
Thomas Griffin Letter
This collection consists of a letter from Private Thomas Griffin, then serving with Company I of the 8th Indiana Cavalry, written from Camp Shiloh to his wife on April 23, 1862.
William Edwards Letter
William J. Knox Letter
In this July 11, 1863 letter to his cousin Malvina Brunnemer, William J. Knox writes about his travels to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and his company's movement's in the south.
William Styer Correspondence
This collection consists of ten letters and five envelopes from Union soldier William Styer to his wife Susannah (Defenbaugh) Styer dating from 1862 November 12 to 1863 September 5. One letter was written in Camp Morton, Indiana; one was written on board the Ohio Belle; and the rest were written from Fort Pickering, Tennessee.
William Styer Letter
This collection houses a letter from William Styer to his wife Susanah dated April 2, 1863 and sent from Fort Pickering, Tennessee. Styer sends his greetings to his family, discusses a smallpox outbreak in camp, relates news of Union victories, and sees hope that the war will end soon due to poor Confederate morale.
William W. Daugherty Letter
William W. Daugherty wrote this letter to his father from Tullahoma, Tennessee on April 13, 1864. In it, he discusses social life among the regiment's officers, describes troop movements just before the Battle of Resaca, and expresses his optimism about General Sherman's campaign in Georgia.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 8
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 89th (1862-1865). 2
- Correspondence. 1
- Indiana -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- La Vergne (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Murfreesboro (Tenn.). 1
- Resaca, Battle of, Resaca, Ga., 1864. 1
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 27th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 33rd (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 53rd (1862-1865). 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1 ∧ less