Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
This collection houses materials documenting the University of Tennessee's Agricultural Extension Service.
A document appointing Mr. Eugene French Fugate as Postmaster of Grainger County, Tennessee in 1935. It is signed by Postmaster General James A. Farley and President of the United States Franklin D. Roosevelt.
This collection includes three postcards depicting places in East Tennessee. The first, used in 1909, depicts a photograph of a hotel in Lea's Springs and was printed by Earle Harrison on Knoxville. The second, used in 1911, depicts a drawing of Knoxville in 1793. The third, used in 1912, depicts coke ovens in Lafollette. Each postcard has been used and includes a message on the back side of the postcard.
This collection consists of legal, financial, and other documents related to members of the Ryan family of Grainger County, Tennessee.
This collection features a book containing records of surveyed land within Grainger County, Fifth District, 40th Section, in the state of Tennessee. The entries in the book date from December 23, 1807, to November 9, 1810.
This collection contains original court documents from Grainger County, Tennessee, for the February 1800 term. The item is eleven pages long and documents the names and case numbers of Grainger County trials.
This letter, to Harmon G. Lea, shares Hardin Shannon's concerns about the upcoming election for representative from Grainger County, Tennessee, and discusses Shannon's affiliation with the Whig Party. Shannon is particularly worried that Colonel Cleveland and Esquire Moore will manipulate the election to Shannon's detriment so that Cleveland will be elected.
These account books for Holston Paper Mill are ledgers documenting buyers who purchased from the company during the years 1825-1836.
The Jarnagin Family Papers, 1834-1890, consists primarily of receipts from personal and business expenses accrued by the Grainger County, Tenn., family. The majority of these receipts are from East Tennessee businesses, including Cowan, McClung & Co. of Knoxville.
This tax receipt notes John Hillsman's return of 68,200 acres of land in Grainger County, Tenn., as payment for taxes for the year 1799.
This collection contains a scrapbook, containing newspaper clippings of Reconstruction Era Southern politics and poems or interesting facts, kept by the Shields family of Bean Station, Tenn.
The Tate Springs Hotel Registers reflects the operations of the Tate Springs Resort near Bean Station, Grainger County, Tennessee under the ownership of the Thomas Tomlinson Estate. The collection primarily includes hotel registers and guest cards dated between 1923 and 1940, prior to when the hotel and resort closed in 1941.
Reverend Thomas Stringfield wrote this letter to the Reverend J. C. Bingham and Dr. Noah Levings from Bean's Station (Grainger County) Tennessee on April 19, 1846. In it, he reports on his activities as an itinerant Methodist preacher in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina, including the sermons he has preached, the Bible Societies he has founded, and the Bibles he has distributed in such places as Bean's Station (Tennessee), Asheville (North Carolina), and Jonesboro (Tennessee).
The William Moffat Letter, 1823, contains a letter from Moffat to Mr. James Dodson in Grainger County, Tenn., regarding the education of Thomas and William (possibly the author's sons). A short, attached letter from Thomas to his mother contains information about school as well.
- Subject: Grainger County (Tenn.) X
- Grainger County (Tenn.) -- History. 7
- Grainger County (Tenn.) 6
- Account books -- Tennessee. 1
- Buncombe County (N.C.) -- History. 1
- Business -- History. 1
- Campbell County (Tenn.) 1
- Education -- Tennessee -- Grainger County. 1
- Grainger County (Tenn.) -- Economic conditions. 1
- Hancock County (Tenn.) 1
- Hawkins County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Hotels -- Tennessee, East. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Pictorial works. 1
- Legal documents -- United States. 1
- Maury County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Methodists -- Tennessee. 1
- Postal service -- Employees. 1
- Postal service -- Tennessee. 1
- Postcards -- Tennessee. 1
- Rhea County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Scott County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Sullivan County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Surveyors -- Tennessee. 1
- Taxation -- Tennessee -- Grainger County. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government. 1
- United States -- History -- 1865-1921. 1
- United States Postal Service -- Employees. 1
- Universities and colleges -- Tennessee. 1
- Whig Party (Tenn.). 1 ∧ less