Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
This collection houses a compilation of papers documenting the 455th Bomb Group including military orders, photographs, and material showing the conception of the 455th Bomb Group Association. These papers provide a wealth of information about the strategic nature of the air war in Europe, the quality of life for pilots and crew members in combat, and the camaraderie of squads following the end of the war.
In this memoir, Buck Donaldson recounts his childhood in rural Louisiana and his service in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
This collection consists of two pamphlets distributed to United States and Allied troops during World War II. The U. S. War Department distributed the first of these booklets to American troops newly arrived in England to provide them with an introduction to English culture. The second pamphlet was given to all Allied troops and highlights various aspects of Paris nightlife and tourist attractions.
The Edgar Wilson Oral History, 2003-2004, is a typescript of an oral history interview with Edgar Wilson by Dr. Kurt Piehler, Greg Kupsky, and Patrick Leverton of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on Wilson's World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
This collection houses a typescript of an oral history interview conducted with Foster Arnett by G. Kurt Piehler and Johnny Goins for the Veteran's Oral History Project at the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview documents Arnett's childhood in East Tennessee, his experiences in the Pacific Theater during World War II, and his postwar legal practice.
The Francis O. Ayers Oral History constitutes a transcript of an oral history interview with Francis O. Ayers conducted by Kate Landdeck and Ramaah Sadasivam for the Center for the Study of War and Society's Veterans Oral History Project. The interview focuses primarily on Ayers' World War II experiences as a U. S. Army Paratrooper, but also covers some pre- and post-war memories.
This memoir (richly illustrated with copies of original photographs) documents Henry Kent's service as a pilot in North Africa and Italy during World War II. Kent discusses such subjects as the planes in use during World War II, the day-to-day operations of his unit, and the activities of his various friends while capturing the hardship, fear, and humor of the situation.
This collection houses a copy (on CD) of Henry W. Kent's memoirs documenting his experience with the 86th Fighter Squadron (then assigned to the 79th Fighter Group) in North Africa during World War II. It contains detailed descriptions and photographs (many in color) of their service.
This collection consists of correspondence, maps, photographs, yearbooks, newspaper clippings, official records, and many other types of memorabilia. It documents Joseph E. Martin’s military service in World War II as well as his education, ROTC service, and career as a math professor. It also includes veterans’ activities, World War II comics, and such personal effects as wedding invitations and church bulletins from the 1940’s.
This collection contains a single letter from the American Red Cross concerning the transfer of Mrs. Benneson Janes during World War II.
This collection houses a typescript of an oral history interview with Rodney Quin Nelson Jr. conducted by Charles Johnson for the Veteran's Oral History Project of the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on Nelson's World War II experiences in the U. S. Navy.
This collection is a typewritten memoir by Robert Bracken detailing his experiences serving stateside with the Third Service Command during World War II. The memoir is 95 pages and though it was printed and completed in 1991, the text is based off of Bracken’s original manuscript written just after the war in 1946.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 4
- United States. Air Force -- History. 2
- United States. Army. Division, 80th. 2
- United States. Navy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 2
- Anzio Beachhead, 1944. 1
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- France -- Social life and customs -- 20th century. 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 1918-1945. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 1
- Leyte Gulf, Battle of, Philippines, 1944. 1
- Liberty ships. 1
- Louisiana -- History. 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Paris (France) -- History -- 1940-1944. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Reconstruction (1939-1951) -- Germany. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 455th. 1
- United States. Army. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 511th. 1
- Universities and colleges -- Tennessee. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 1
- V-mail. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Female. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women. 1 ∧ less