Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 26
Anna Chavannes Journal
Anna Chavannes begins her account of her emigration from Switzerland to Wartburg, Tennessee with her family's departure from Havre on May 3, 1848. She goes on to describe their boat trip with the Gouffon, Guyaz, and Sterchi families, their landing in New York and transfer to the Southerner, and their overland trip through Chattanooga to Wartburg, Tennessee. This item is a transcription of the original and was translated from the French by Emma S. Robinson in 1930.
Archibald D. Paul Diaries
This collection consists of two handwritten diaries belonging to Archibald D. Paul with daily recordings of his activity on his farm between 1834 and 1864.
B. F. Roy Diary
Dr. John Willard Hill Collection
This collection consists of two diaries written by Dr. John Willard Hill when he was twelve years old and living in Knoxville, Tennessee. The contents span two calendar years, beginning on January 1, 1865 and ending on in December 31, 1866 with a gap between July 9 and December 31, 1865. Many of the entries address Hill's daily school lessons, visits from tutors and family friends, as well as domestic affairs like cleaning the horses and his mother’s new shoes.
Eleanora Willauer Diary
This collection consists of the Confederate diary of Eleanora Willauer, of Dickson County, Tennessee, written between October 1, 1862 and November 9, 1869.
Elizabeth Baker Crozier Journal
James B. David Diary
This collection houses the diary of Private James B. David of the 89th Illinois Infantry Regiment. The diary documents entire year of 1864, but it only has a few references for the months of November and December. The first pages of the diary list the addresses of some of the soldiers who served with David.
Jeremiah S. White Journals
Jeremiah S. White's account of his experience in the Civil War as a special courier under General Nathan Bedford Forrest of the Confederate Army.
John A. Curran Diary
This collection consists of a transcription of an 1864 Civil War diary, written by John A. Curran of the 32nd Iowa Regiment, Co. B. It covers the time period from July 11, 1864 to February 11, 1865.
John Ibaugh Civil War Diary
In this diary, John Ibaugh writes primarily of his movements between Philadelphia and Washington D.C. during the closing months of the Civil War. He also describes his service at the Battle of Nashville, the Battle of Chattanooga, and the Union Army's final march in Washington, D.C.
John M. Hollis Papers
The diary housed in this collection documents John M. Hollis's Civil War service, including his enlistment and training and his unit's marches through Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, and Kentucky. Of particular interest are the descriptions of fierce battles at Murfreesboro, Tennessee and Perryville, Kentucky.
John Sevier Diary
This collection consists of a typescript of a diary of John Sevier, spanning from 1790-1815.
John Thompson Diary
This collection consists of a handwritten diary of John Thompson's with entries dated between 1803-1811. Included is a travel account of Thompson's journey by boat from Nashville, Tennessee, to New Orleans, Louisiana, and his return on land via the Natchez Trace. Other entries include recipes, remedies, and miscellaneous tales. Typed notes about his entries accompanies the diary.
Julia Francis Hammond Spring Diary
This diary was kept by Julia Frances Hammond Spring and covers a period from 1852-1878. Much in the diary is of a religious nature, regarding the Methodist Church, mentions of preachers, and sermons. Also in the collection is another handwritten book that appears to be her daughter's first school exercise book.
The collection consists of one record book from 1885 with daily entries by an unidentified creator.
Lynn Family Diaries
This collection houses 18 volumes documenting the lives of three members of the Lynn family living in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Margaret Barton Crozier Ramsey Diary
N. E. Prentice Diary
N. E. Prentice's diary covers approximately seventy pages and dates from January through July of 1865. The entries discuss such topics as the foraging his unit has done, deserters, Union prisoners, African-American refugees, mustering out, Prentice's travel home, and his work after returning home. The diary also contains approximately seventeen pages of autographs from fellow soldiers and several pages of miscellaneous lists and notes.
Nelson E. Prentice Civil War Diary
This collection consists of Nelson E. Prentice's Civil War diary which details operations in Ohio and in the Eastern Tennessee/Knoxville area. Prentice served in the Ohio 1st Heavy Artillery from 1863-1865.
Nina Cunningham Diary
Nina Cunningham of Maryville, Tennessee kept this diary between 1886 and 1899. In it, she describes her time as a student at Maryville College in addition to family and social events.
- Subject: Diaries. X
- Diaries. 9
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 8
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries. 7
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Women -- Tennessee -- Diaries. 3
- Account books. 2
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Diaries. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate. 2
- Women -- Tennessee -- Knoxville -- Diaries. 2
- Blount County (Tenn.) -- Biography. 1
- Blount County (Tenn.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century. 1
- California -- History -- 1850-1950. 1
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Christian Women -- Biography. 1
- Circuit riders -- Southern States. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 4th. 1
- Dickson County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Farm Life -- Appalachian Region, Southern. 1
- Farmers -- Tennessee. 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- Kentucky -- Description and travel. 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Anecdotes. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Assassination. 1
- Maryville (Tenn.) -- Social conditions -- 19th century. 1
- Medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions. 1
- Meridian (Miss.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Methodist preaching. 1
- Mexican War, 1846-1848. 1
- Mississippi River -- Description and travel. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Nashville, Battle of, Nashville, Tenn., 1864. 1
- Perryville, Battle of, Perryville, Ky., 1862. 1
- Photographs -- 19th century. 1
- Photographs -- 20th century. 1
- Postcards. 1
- Rhea County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Scrapbooks. 1
- Selma (Ala.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Sevier, John, 1745-1815 -- Diaries. 1
- Soldiers -- Iowa -- Diaries. 1
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Diaries. 1
- Soldiers -- Pennsylvania -- Diaries. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Diaries. 1
- Stones River, Battle of, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 1862-1863. 1
- Swiss -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- Description and travel. 1
- Tennessee -- Emigration and immigration. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Tennessee -- History. 1
- United States -- Description and travel. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Food supply. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Tennessee. 1
- United States -- Religion 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 38th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 89th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Heavy Artillery Regiment, 2nd (1863-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, 29th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Tennessee Calvary Regiment, 1st Middle (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Tennessee Calvary Regiment, 5th (1861-1865). 1
- Women -- Tennessee -- Blount County -- Diaries. 1
- Women -- Tennessee -- Maryville -- Diaries. 1
- Women in Christianity -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less