Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 180
1982 Knoxville International Energy Exposition Collection
The 1982 Knoxville International Energy Exposition Collection consists of five series, occupying two boxes. The collection material contains correspondence and other documents from the numerous organizations that were instrumental in bringing the World's Fair to Knoxville in 1982.
"A Birthday Salute to Knoxville" Manuscript
This collection includes two copies of a typed manuscript of David J. Harkness' "A Birthday Salute to Knoxville."
A. F. Bellingrath Papers
A. F. Sanford Arboretum Records
This collection houses seven boxes of record books documenting the flora present in the A. F. Sanford Arboretum between 1930 and 1941. The plants are arranged alphabetically by genus.
A. G. Franklin Letter to Dr. Jesse Snodgrass
Collection contains a three page handwritten letter and envelope to Dr. Jesse Snodgrass from A. G. Franklin. The letter was written on July 22, 1864, and sent from Knoxville, Tennessee to Snodgrass, a surgeon for the Union Army, who was stationed in Atlanta, Georgia.
A. J. Kennedy Ledger
This bound ledger records the accounts of A. J. Kennedy's sawmill. It begins with an alphabetical list of customers (some of whom were prominent early citizens of Knoxville) and goes on with an itemized list of charges. These charges were incurred for such things as hauling flour to river, loads of wood, loads of hay, quarts of whiskey, scantling, making three pairs of shoes, and various other consumer items.
A. L. Rule Ledgers
Dr. Andrew L. Rule used these two ledgers to record the names of his patients and the charges they incurred between 1905 and 1914. A note on the inside cover indicates that the ledger changed hands in 1953.
A Skin Game Photograph
This collection houses one photograph, titled "A Skin Game," depicting three African-American men playing (and humorously cheating at) a game of poker. Information printed on the photograph itself reads "Copyright 1896 by Knaffl & Bro, Knoxville, Tenn."
Alfred E. Waldo Letter
A single letter, written October 26, 1863, by Alfred Edward Waldo to his parents. In the letter, he details the defense of Knoxville, Tennessee against General James Longstreet's attack as well as writing of his rations and requesting for new clothes.
Alice Heap Manuscript Regarding the Heap Family
Allen J. Clifton Letter
In this letter to his mother (written near Knoxville, Tennessee), Allen Clifton reports on his unit's position and supplies, describes the weather, mentions that he is in good health, inquires about the health and doings of family members and friends, and asks for some postage stamps. He also asks about the returned veterans and solicits his mother's opinion of his decision not to re-enlist.
Appalachian Exposition Diploma
The University of Tennessee earned this diploma at the Appalachian Exposition for the Best Exhibit of Higher Industrial Education.
Arthur Seymour Scrapbooks
This collection houses two scrapbooks compiled by Arthur G. Seymour documenting his time at the University of Tennessee. They include articles and mementos from University events, Kappa Sigma membership, and the many activities and honors of Seymour himself.
Athene Circle Records and Other Materials
This collection houses meeting minutes, memorial resolutions for Anna Chandler and Angie Warren Perkins, correspondence, a narrative of a trip to Panama, and other materials documenting the Athene Circle of Knoxville, Tennessee. Much of the information shows Anna Chandler, one of the Circle's earliest members.
Babyhood of Knoxville Manuscript
This collection houses a manuscript entitled Babyhood of Knoxville written by William A. Henderson describing how the city of Knoxville was founded and how it flourished between the early 1700s and the early 1900s.
Bank Account Book
This account book contains lists of transactions, many for currency or settlement, with a variety of customers. Among the individuals and businesses represented are Cowan McClung and Company, S.V. McCorkle, Stamps and Company, D.P. Rowe and Company, and Knoxville Iron Company. A loose piece of paper bears the letterhead of The Hanover National Bank of the City of New York.
Barbara Goddard's Memoirs of Lewis Frelan Goddard
This collection contains the Memoirs of Lewis Frelan Goddard, May 9, 1924 to August 7, 1944, compiled by Barbara Goddard in July 1994. It traces the life of Frelan Goddard with family photographs, certificates, newspaper articles, and correspondence. There are also materials from the family's trip to Europe and about awards given to the family or posthumously to Goddard.
Benton L. Thompson Siege of Knoxville Letter
This Civil War letter was written by Benton L. Thompson of the Union Army, and contains general details of his journey to Knoxville, Tennessee by railway and by foot for the Siege of Knoxville.
Bernadotte E. Schmitt Papers
This collection houses photographs, photograph albums, correspondence, diplomas, newspaper clippings, and published works documenting Bernadotte E. Schmitt's family, time at the University of Tennessee, participation in the Rhodes Scholarship Program, and later career.
Betsey B. and David D. Creekmore Collection
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 121
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 49
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 39
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 23
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 18
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 10
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 9
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 8
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 7
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- Universities and colleges -- Tennessee. 6
- World's Fair of 1982 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 6
- Correspondence. 5
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 5
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- History. 5
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 4
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History. 4
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Pictorial works. 4
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 4
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 4
- Tennessee -- Religion. 4
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Social life and customs. 3
- Physicians -- Tennessee. 3
- Presbyterians -- Tennessee. 3
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 3
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 3
- Tennessee Volunteers (Football team). 3
- Women -- Societies and clubs. 3
- Account books -- Tennessee. 2
- Banks and banking -- History. 2
- Banks and banking -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 2
- Christianity -- Southern States. 2
- Dogwood Arts Festival (Knoxville, Tenn.) 2
- Education, Higher -- Tennessee. 2
- Exhibitions -- Tennessee. 2
- First Presbyterian Church (Knoxville, Tenn.). 2
- Fort Sanders, Battle of, Knoxville, Tenn., 1863. 2
- Governors -- Tennessee. 2
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Guidebooks. 2
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.). 2
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Commerce. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Societies and clubs. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Theater. 2
- Medicine -- Tennessee. 2
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Morristown (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Pharmaceutical chemistry. 2
- Pharmacists -- Tennessee. 2
- Photographs. 2
- Slavery -- Tennessee 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee. 2
- Soldiers -- Wisconsin -- Correspondence. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 2
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 2
- Tennessee -- Politics and government. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Food supply. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 2
- United States. Army. Corps, 23rd (1863-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 111th (1862-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865). 2
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 2
- African Americans -- Tennessee. 1
- Agricultural education. 1
- American poetry -- Tennessee. 1
- Architecture -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Art -- Exhibitions. 1
- Banks and banking -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Bar associations -- Tennessee. 1
- Blount Mansion (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Boone, Daniel 1734-1820 -- Travel. 1
- Botanical gardens -- Tennessee. 1
- Cades Cove (Tenn.) 1
- Calhoun County (Ala.) -- History. 1
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Children's stories, American. 1
- Chiropractic -- Law and legislation -- Tennessee. 1
- Chiropractors -- Tennessee. 1
- Cholera -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Christian life -- United States. 1
- Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.) -- Pictorial works. 1
- City planning -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Communicable diseases -- Tennessee. 1
- Confederate States of America. 1
- Confederate States of America. Dept. of the Treasury. 1
- Court records -- Tennessee -- Knox County. 1
- Cumberland Gap Campaign, 1862. 1
- Cumberland Mountains -- Social life and customs. 1
- Cumberland Mountains. 1
- Democratic Party (Tenn.). 1
- Dentistry -- Accounting. 1
- Dentists -- Tennessee. 1
- Depositions -- Tennessee. 1
- Depressions -- 1929 -- Tennessee, East. 1
- Diaries. 1 ∧ less
- Staub, Peter, 1827-1904 1