Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
Reverend John E. Alexander presented this sketch to the Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia on July 2, 1876. In it, he details the history of the Presbyterian Church of Greeneville, Tennessee (previously known as Harmony and Mt. Bethel), including a list of the members of the church's session since its early years.
This ledger records the names of the teachers and students who participated in the classes offered through the Concord Sabbath School in 1838, 1857, and 1858.
In this letter to John Mitchie, Reverend Consider Parish reports the formation of the Montgomery County Bible Society (an auxiliary of the American Bible Society) on June 17, 1837. The original letter was signed by Reverend H. F. Beaumont (President), John McHeage (Treasurer), and Reverend Consider Parish (Corresponding and Recording Secretary).
This certificate of dismission, signed by James Park for the First Presbyterian Church of Knoxville, Tennessee, indicates that James W. Deaderick has been dismissed by his own request and is affectionately recommended to the fellowship of the First Presbyterian Church of Jonesboro, Tennessee. A later hand has added Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Tennessee above Deaderick's name.
A pamphlet printed in 1830 of Reverend Frederick A. Ross' "A Sermon on Intemperance," given in Knoxville, Tennessee a year prior.
In this address, Colonel G. W. Telford provides a sketch of Samuel Doak's life, including the founding of the Salem (Tennessee) Church. Telford includes an incomplete list of the Presidents of Washington College and the pastors of the Salem Church. This manuscript was reproduced as part of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) program.
In this synopsis, Rev. James Park describes the history of Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church. He begins with its founding in 1796, mentions the development of the church's buildings from 1812 to 1852, and ends by noting that the church's first pastor, Samuel Carrick, died on August 6, 1809 of apoplexy. This item is a transcript of the original prepared by John S. Van Gilder on November 11, 1935.
This document certifies that Jacob and Eliza Myers sold Lot #11 on Second Street in Kingsport, Tennessee to John Patton in exchange for Lot #9 so that it could be used to benefit the Presbyterian Church.
This collection contains Martha Lampson Missionary Society's minutes from April 1944 to November 1947.
This collection houses letters of recommendation for Samuel Boyd, correspondence to and from Samuel Boyd (including two letters he wrote while being held prisoner at Camp Chase, Ohio during the Civil War), genealogical notes, invitations, newspaper clippings, and resolutions on the deaths of Samuel and Isabella (Reed) Boyd.
Collection consists of part of an unsigned letter written to My dear Annie, dated July 4. The year not given, and the letter is incomplete, lacking one or more pages. Much of the letter deals with the writer defending the treatment of enslaved people by southerners. Also writes that her husband, a Presbyterian minister, and her had to move from Kentucky to Clarksville, Tennessee to avoid factionalism within the church.
- Subject: Presbyterians -- Tennessee. X
- First Presbyterian Church (Knoxville, Tenn.). 4
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 3
- Tennessee -- Religion. 3
- Montgomery County (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Greeneville (Tenn.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. 1
- Greeneville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Infant baptism -- Sermons. 1
- Kingsport (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Land tenure -- Tennessee -- Sullivan County. 1
- Rogersville (Tenn.) 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Sunday schools -- Tennessee. 1
- Temperance -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs. 1 ∧ less