Showing Collections: 21 - 40 of 64
Gideon Welles Letter to A. H. Rice
In this letter, Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles asks Congressman Alexander H. Rice (then serving on the Committee of Naval Affairs) to consider passing an amendment to secure equal payment for the clerical force of the Navy Yards. Welles mentions three reports of the Chief of the Bureau of Yards and Docks, which are not included in this collection.
Guy F. Landers Diary
A single handwritten diary (photocopy) of Guy Landers from his time in World War II. The diary includes short daily entries of Landers’ activities from August 1944 through July 1945 before and during his time on the USS Arkansas.
H. L. Mencken Letter and Other Materials
Harold F. Broderick Collection
The Harold F. Broderick Collection, 1943, consists primarily of photographs of Attu Island during World War II. Also included is the Blue Star Flag.
Harold S. Fink Collection
This collection contains material regarding the military career of Harold S. Fink, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve who served during World War II.
Helen F. Kuhns Papers
The Helen F. Kuhns Papers, 1944-1963 (bulk 1945) consist primarily of incoming correspondence of Kuhns, a member of the women's naval branch during World War II. In addition to incoming correspondence, this collection also contains government issued pamphlets and flyers as well as correspondence to the Round Robin group.
Henry Bell and Son Special License
This Special License to Ship into Insurrectionary States and Districts was awarded to Henry Bell and Son to enable them to ship merchandise to James Bond in Brownville, Tennessee. It is attached to a three-page inventory amounting to $1083.26. The inventory contains various articles of clothing and shoes, an assortment of fabric and sewing notions, coffee and several different kinds of spice, nails, and a saddle and harness.
Herman E. and Havens T. Spivey Papers
Hobart E. Bostic Papers
Hogins Family Collection
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, press clippings, recollections, and ephemera collected by Evelyn Hogins concerning World War II. It also includes material concerning Evelyn's mother, Annie Hogins, and Evelyn's brothers: Clifford, Lawrence "Buster", and Marshall Hogins. The brothers all served in the U.S. military. A significant portion of the collection is comprised of photocopies.
Interview with Lemuel Sparks
This collection consists of an interview transcription with Lemuel Sparks conducted by G. Kurt Piehler and Viviana Chapa on March 13, 2001.
J. Guy Boswell Jr. Correspondence
Photocopy of a six-page handwritten letter from J. Guy Boswell Jr. to his wife. Boswell penned this letter from Japan in 1945 while serving with the U.S. Navy. Boswell writes about the history and current state of the city of Yokohama as well as his experiences there. He also comments on the weather and his health.
J. Harold Harveston Papers
This collection consists of correspondence between J. Harold Harveston, a radioman in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and his parents. It also contains an undated newspaper clipping regarding Harveston from the Knoxville News Sentinel.
J. Porter Taylor Collection
This collection features materials related to James Porter Taylor's interactions with the Office of Naval Officers Procurement and the Selective Service during World War II while he worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority. Materials include classification cards, correspondence, service documents, and TVA memorandums.
James A. Ramsey Collection
This collection includes material from James A. Ramsey's service during World War II as a part of the U.S. Navy. It features his diary, a copy of his journal, a seaman's handbook, several photographs, documents from his naval service, and a series of naval stories written by Ramsey after his service.
James E. Arnold Photographs of Pearl Harbor
James K. Polk Note
In a September 5, 1846 note, President James K. Polk announces the assignment of Lieutenant Thomas Brounell to inspection duty for steam ships that the government contracted through Edward Mills for mail carrying.
Jerome Kaufman Collection
This collection includes several letters written to World War II soldier Jerome Kaufman, who served with the U.S. Navy, from his family and wife, as well as military documents from his service.
Joseph C. Strong Journals
The first of the journals in this collection recounts Joseph C. Strong's service in the U. S. Navy aboard the warship Trumbull as it escorted other ships from London to the Caribbean in 1800 and 1801. The second larger journal tells of Strong's activities in and around Knoxville in 1816 as he helped to establish a Bible Society. Both of these journals are typewritten copies of the originals.
Joseph E. Kelly Collection
This collection contains research bibliographies, notes, newsclippings, and a historical account ,“The Splinter Fleet,” written by World War II veteran Joseph E. Kelly about his experience in the war.
- Subject: United States. Navy. X
- United States. Navy. 51
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 31
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 12
- World War, 1939-1945. 11
- United States. Navy -- History. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 5
- United States. Army. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 4
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 3
- Louisiana -- History. 2
- Mobile Bay, Battle of, Ala., 1864. 2
- United States. Marine Corps. 2
- United States. Navy -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- United States. Navy -- Women. 2
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 2
- Admirals -- United States -- Correspondence. 1
- Admirals -- United States. 1
- Attu, Battle of, Alaska, 1943 1
- Authors, American -- Tennessee. 1
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Brownsville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Christianity -- Southern States. 1
- Cold War. 1
- Correspondence. 1
- France -- History -- 1789-1815. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Guided missiles -- Design and construction. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Registers of dead. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Liberty ships. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) 1
- Military chaplains -- United States. 1
- Missionaries -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Natchez (Ship) 1
- Nuclear facilities -- United States. 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Politicians -- Tennessee. 1
- Shipping -- United States -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- New York (State) -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers' bodies, Disposition of. 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority -- Officials and employees. 1
- Underwater exploration -- Arctic ocean 1
- United States -- History, Naval -- To 1900. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1783-1809. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1865-1869. 1
- United States Postal Service -- Employees. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Navy -- Aviation. 1
- United States. Navy -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. 1
- United States. Navy. Seabees. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Faculty. 1
- University of Tennessee, Memphis -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- Voyages and travels. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Iran. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Saipan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Registers of dead -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 1 ∧ less