Showing Collections: 1 - 19 of 19
Ben Franklin Oral History
This collection consists of three interview transcriptions with Ben Franklin on from 2004-2005 by G. Kurt Piehler, John B. Romeiser, and Braum Lincoln Denton. In the interviews, Franklin details his childhood in Knoxville, TN and his service in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Buck Donaldson Memoir
In this memoir, Buck Donaldson recounts his childhood in rural Louisiana and his service in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
Center for the Study of War and Society Administrative Files
Clinton E. Riddle Oral History
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
Edgar Wilson Oral History
The Edgar Wilson Oral History, 2003-2004, is a typescript of an oral history interview with Edgar Wilson by Dr. Kurt Piehler, Greg Kupsky, and Patrick Leverton of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on Wilson's World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
Erwin B. Bigger Oral History
These two VHS tapes contain a recording of an oral history by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Erwin B. Bigger. In it, Bigger discusses his early life and his service with the U. S. Army as a paratrooper during World War II and the Korean War.
Henry Kent Memoir
This memoir (richly illustrated with copies of original photographs) documents Henry Kent's service as a pilot in North Africa and Italy during World War II. Kent discusses such subjects as the planes in use during World War II, the day-to-day operations of his unit, and the activities of his various friends while capturing the hardship, fear, and humor of the situation.
Henry W. Kent Memoir
This collection houses a copy (on CD) of Henry W. Kent's memoirs documenting his experience with the 86th Fighter Squadron (then assigned to the 79th Fighter Group) in North Africa during World War II. It contains detailed descriptions and photographs (many in color) of their service.
James M. Griffin Diary
John S. Hurst Narrative
In this narrative, John S. Hurst describes his time in the U. S. Army from his induction in July of 1944 to his discharge in August of 1945. He mentions his service replenishing ammunition during the Battle of the Bulge and details many of his struggles, including the frostbite and pneumonia that finally sent him home. The collection also houses a copy of a photograph of Hurst in his uniform.
Joseph E. Martin Collection
This collection consists of correspondence, maps, photographs, yearbooks, newspaper clippings, official records, and many other types of memorabilia. It documents Joseph E. Martin’s military service in World War II as well as his education, ROTC service, and career as a math professor. It also includes veterans’ activities, World War II comics, and such personal effects as wedding invitations and church bulletins from the 1940’s.
Laurence A. Grossman Memoirs
Lisa M. Budreau World War II Collection
This collection houses correspondence, publications, memoirs, photographs, newspaper and magazine clippings, and other materials that Lisa M. Budreau accumulated during the course of her research into the impact that stationing American troops in the small English town of Grantham had on the soldiers and on their British hosts.
M. E. Springer Oral History
In this collection, M. E. Springer discusses his life as a non-combat soldier in World War II and his postwar work conducting soil surveys in Japan.
McAmis Family Papers
Neal O'Steen Oral History
In this oral history, Neal O'Steen recounts his childhood in Bedford County, Tennessee and his service as an orderly in Virginia and as a Pharmacist's Mate in San Francisco during World War II. He also describes his service in Virginia during the Korean War.
Robert Harrington DVD
This film, entitled Troublemaker -- A Pilot's Story of WWII, documents Robert Harrington's service flying B-24s in Europe with the 466th Bomb Group during 1944.
Rodney Q. Nelson Jr. Oral History
This collection houses a typescript of an oral history interview with Rodney Quin Nelson Jr. conducted by Charles Johnson for the Veteran's Oral History Project of the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on Nelson's World War II experiences in the U. S. Navy.
“Stateside: A Time Capsule from World War II” by Robert Bracken
This collection is a typewritten memoir by Robert Bracken detailing his experiences serving stateside with the Third Service Command during World War II. The memoir is 95 pages and though it was printed and completed in 1991, the text is based off of Bracken’s original manuscript written just after the war in 1946.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 7
- United States. Navy. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 3
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 2
- United States. Air Force -- History. 2
- United States. Army. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 2
- Anzio Beachhead, 1944. 1
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Corinth (Miss.) -- History. 1
- Grantham (England) -- History. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Liberty ships. 1
- Louisiana -- History. 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (Heavy), 466th. 1
- United States. Army. Airborne Division, 82nd. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 10th. 1
- United States. Army. Division, 80th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 78th. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 504th. 1
- Universities and colleges -- Tennessee. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 1
- V-mail. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- Netherlands. 1
- World War, 1939-1945. 1 ∧ less