Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History.
Found in 129 Collections and/or Records:
This collection houses primarily photographs of the Church of God and its members taken by J. R. Campbell near Harriman and Hyatt, Tennessee, around 1910. Also included is a pamphlet by James W. Taylor entitled Alleghania. This document discusses the reasons for pro-Union feelings in East Tennessee and Knoxville's strategic importance.
The bulk of this collection consists of correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, speeches, notes, and other materials documenting James D. Hoskins' work with the University of Tennessee during the 1930s and 1940s. Other materials show his involvement with the Sons of the Revolution, the genealogy of the Hoskins family, and Tennessee history.
This collection houses five letters addressed to James M. Welcker. Most discuss financial and political matters (including Polk's nomination as a presidential candidate), but some also touch on family affairs.
This collection houses receipts that James T. Thornton collected over a period of forty years, from 1875 to 1914.
This collection consists of papers documenting James White of Knoxville, Tennessee, including genealogical records from the White family Bible and a photocopy of a legal document. A short biography of James White is also included.
The collection contains the estate settlement of Joseph A. Mabry, Jr.
The first of the journals in this collection recounts Joseph C. Strong's service in the U. S. Navy aboard the warship Trumbull as it escorted other ships from London to the Caribbean in 1800 and 1801. The second larger journal tells of Strong's activities in and around Knoxville in 1816 as he helped to establish a Bible Society. Both of these journals are typewritten copies of the originals.
This collection consists of a framed black and white photograph of seven men in the 3rd floor courtroom of the Knox County Courthouse, circa 1943-1947.
This collection houses vital statistics reports, photographs, slides, budgets, scrapbooks, and other materials documenting over a century of health care in Knoxville and Knox County, Tennessee. The bulk of the material is composed of news articles collected in scrapbooks dating from 1931 to 1991 and vital statistics showing Knoxville, Knox County, and Tennessee between 1909 and 1996.
This collection consists of the Knox County Election Ledger, a bound volume including newspaper clippings and handwritten notes, covering elections in Knox County, Tenn. in the years 1909-1916.
The Knox County Records, 1794-1832, contain four items pertaining to Knox County, Tenn. They consist of a court testimony from 1794, signed by F. A. Ramsey and Gavin Black, a court order and a marriage certificate from 1821, and a State of Tennessee Bank receipt from 1832.
This notebook contains the minutes of the Knoxville Bar Association's meetings from 1921 to 1930. The organization's particular concerns include endorsements of nominees to such political offices as the Supreme Court and memorials of deceased Knoxville lawyers.
This collection houses a single magic lantern, or primitive projection, slide depicting Knoxville College's 1930 Junior class play.
This collection houses minutes, plans, reports, correspondence, and publications documenting the Knoxville Community Planning Council's work between 1943 and 1946. The bulk of the material focuses on the Master Planning Committee.
This collection houses vouchers, journal entries, and account records documenting the activities of the Knoxville Park Association, the Knoxville Electric Light and Power Company, the Knoxville Street Railway, and the Knoxville Traction Company between 1891 and 1920.