Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History.
Found in 129 Collections and/or Records:
This collection houses a photograph album containing approximately 200 photographs taken by Elizabeth Vaughan Kennedy. The images depict such Southern locations as Tuskegee, Lutrell, and Montreat in addition to several antebellum homes, leisure time activities (for example a tennis match and a carnival party), landscapes, political campaigns, and groups of people.
This collection consists of photographs, newspaper and magazine clippings, correspondence, and other materials relating to Ellen McClung Berry. The collection dates between 1921 and 1985.
Artificial collection of ephemera items related to the history of Knoxville, Tennessee, the Great Smoky Mountains, and more.
In this letter to his parents, Owen and Permelia (Cooper) Tuttle, Corporal Ephraim Tuttle discusses the Battle of Fort Sanders. He includes descriptions of Confederate casualties, estimating that the Confederate forces lost about 360 soldiers with approximately the same number taken prisoner. Tuttle goes on to detail skirmishes at Bean's Station, Blain's Crossroads, and Rockford and mentions the lack of supplies and struggles with commanding officers.
This collection houses official papers, minutes, and a scrapbook documenting the Faculty Women's Club and the Newcomer's Club between 1938 and 1992.
This collection houses materials documenting the University of Tennessee Faculty Women's Club. These items include calendars dating from 1935 to 1988, minute books (which contain typed announcements issued at the time of a member's death) dating from 1920 to 1968, and financial reports dating from 1948 to 1975. Additionally, the collection houses material from two clubs sponsored by the Faculty Women's Club: the Newcomer's Club and the National Association of University Dames.
This collection contains minutes for the general board meeting of the Faculty Women’s Club as well as several albums of photographs showing the group.
This collection houses minutes, scrapbooks, committee information, legal documents, handbooks, photograph albums, and a cookbook documenting the Faculty Women's Club at the University of Tennessee between 1948 and 1989. It also houses some material showing the organization of the Newcomers Club, a group for women faculty and wives who have been affiliated with the University for less than two years.
This collection houses a typescript of an oral history interview conducted with Foster Arnett by G. Kurt Piehler and Johnny Goins for the Veteran's Oral History Project at the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview documents Arnett's childhood in East Tennessee, his experiences in the Pacific Theater during World War II, and his postwar legal practice.
This notebook (handwritten primarily in French) contains notes on the books that the Reverend Frédéric Espérandieu read between 1822 and 1824. A number of apparently original poems, likely written by Rev. Espérandieu, are also included.
Nathaniel C. McLean wrote this letter to his wife, Mary Louise (Thompson) McLean, on May 3, 1864 while he was inspecting Union fortifications in and around Knoxville, Tennessee.
This collection consists of a hand drawn survey dated 1806 of lands held near Nashville, Tennessee by George Washington Campbell, a letter written by Campbell to a Mrs. Mary Doherty in 1832 concerning 640 acres of Campbell's land in Tennessee, and an undated stereograph of George Washington Campbell's Nashville, Tennessee mansion.
The Grace Moore Papers, 1916-1991, contains forty-one items. The first series of letters are primarily to Ben A. Bower from Moore and his friends, Bessie Garrison and Gert. The second series of newspaper clippings pertain to Moore, her 1937 trip to Knoxville, Tenn., her death in 1947, and her hometown Jellico, Tenn.
James H. Ewing wrote this fictional letter from Miss Gracie Sue Ellen Davenport of Knoxville, Tennessee to Franklin Percival Ewing for Dr. Cooke's American Theatre History Class in 1977. Supposedly dated February 25, 1875, the letter discusses the opening of the Staub Opera House on October 1, 1872.
This collection houses a monthly student report from the Hampden-Sydney School of Knoxville, Tenn., for Mallie Ross.
This collection contains correspondence and other materials documenting the Knoxville Civil War Centennial and Harold Fink's work with the Civil War Marker Project.
This collection houses 19 scrapbooks assembled by Eleanor Harrison documenting Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his administration, Knoxville and Knox County history, the Blount Mansion, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, St. John's Episcopal Church, and England's Royal visitors to the United States.
In this synopsis, Rev. James Park describes the history of Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church. He begins with its founding in 1796, mentions the development of the church's buildings from 1812 to 1852, and ends by noting that the church's first pastor, Samuel Carrick, died on August 6, 1809 of apoplexy. This item is a transcript of the original prepared by John S. Van Gilder on November 11, 1935.
This collection contains a single letter on Hotel Farragut stationary, written by an unidentified son to his mother in Jackson, Tennessee, 1927.
The papers of Judge Hugh L. McClung consist of letters of recommendation for President of the University of Tennessee after the death of Dr. Brown Ayres. Judge McClung was a member of the nomination committee. Dr. Harcourt Alexander Morgan was selected to succeed Dr. Ayres.