Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 24
An arrest warrant for Benjamin Montgomery, charged with treason, issued in 1868 to the sheriff of Sevier County, Tenn. On the backside of the warrant includes handwritten notes from Sheriff J. H. McNutt that Montgomery was not located in Sevier County.
This collection consists of an arrest warrant for Elijah Brown, charged with treason, issued in 1868 to the sheriff of Sevier County, Tenn. On the backside of the warrant includes handwritten notes from Sheriff J. H. McNutt that Brown was not located in Sevier County.
This collection houses records documenting the Cline family. It includes a delayed birth certificate for Charlie Winford Cline (born 1889) from 1955, an agreement of Joe Cline's heirs in 1930, and a deed recording property sold to the family in 1927.
The E. Riley Anderson Collection contains the records of Judge E. Riley Anderson, a Tennessee-native lawyer and jurist who served as Chief Justice of the Tennessee Supreme Court. The records focus on judicial decisions in the State of Tennessee. The time periods covered extend from the 1980s to the first decade of the 21 century. The list of boxes and folders in the collection is in a separate PDF document.
This collection contains marriage bonds, land deeds, and other legal documents of Rhea County, Tennessee, dating from 1785 to 1893.
This collection includes the personal and professional records of Judge James Howard Jarvis II. Judge Jarvis served on the U.S. District Court, overseeing cases in the Eastern District of Tennessee. The time frame reflected in the records is 1975-2007.
This ledger has been divided into nine vertical columns with the following headings: case number, day of trial, parties' names, amount of judgment, by whom stayed, returning officer, execution when issued, bill of costs, and officers return.
Nancy Miller gave this deposition to Charles McClung, Court Clerk of Knox County, as part of a lawsuit between Judith Miller (plaintiff) and John Smith (defendant). In it, Nancy Miller testifies that in 1798 Zachary Cox told her to get the money that he owed her from his store and that he would tell John Smith to let her have what she asked. The case was heard before the Knox County Superior Court on April 2, 1800, and Judith Miller was awarded $77.39, including $0.16 in court costs.
This bond lists Nathan Southern, Hilary Hurst, and Joseph Lawhorn as indebted to the State of Tennessee in the amount of $50.00 each to secure the appearance of Anderson, an enslaved person, before the court on December 19, 1856 to face a misdemeanor charge.
This document, dated May 1, 1802, records Patrick Campbell's sale of seventy acres of land in Anderson County, Tennessee near Copper Ridge to William Ussery for a fee of $35.
This document instructs Thomas Montgomery to report to the Washington County Court House on the second Monday of February 1793 to answer a plea brought against him by Richard Jones. Jones is suing Montgomery over what he considers defamatory words and is asking for two hundred pounds in damages. The document also discusses a penal sum of one hundred pounds that Jones will owe to Montgomery if Jones fails to prosecute this suit.
This collection houses three legal documents created in Roane County, Tennessee. The first document is a marriage license for Hiram Babb and Malinda Griffis dated October 28, 1847; the second appoints J. J. Scarbraugh as a notary public on October 14, 1897 and is signed by then-governor of Tennessee Robert L. Taylor; the third is a bond posted by David Ferguson on November 15, 1848 regarding the marriage of Samuel D. Elkins and Martha Jane Wilson.
This collection includes the records of Judge Thomas Gray Hull. Judge Hull served in a number of legal, political, and judicial positions in the Eastern District of Tennessee. This collection includes records from 1970-2005, spanning from before Judge Hull’s appointment to the federal District Court in 1984 and past his assumption of senior status in 2002.
This document constitutes a summary of a lawsuit that Thomas Humes brought against William Smith, John Gore, and James Roddy of Jefferson County, Tennessee. Additional notes signed by Frances Alexander Ramsey and Archibald Roane dated April 5, 1799 certify that the document is an accurate copy of the Court's records.
This collection contains legal documents and magistrate dockets of Union County, Tennessee, dated from June 22, 1838 – January 7, 1904. Contained therein is a collection of legal papers, mostly warrants but also notes, bonds, receipts, letters, IOUs, checks and ledgers from Union County. Also included are two separate magistrate dockets that contain names of cases, court fees, and general remarks.
- Subject: Legal documents -- Tennessee. X
- Judges -- Tennessee. 3
- Legal correspondence. 3
- Land tenure -- Tennessee -- Anderson County. 2
- Sevier County (Tenn.). 2
- Slavery -- Tennessee 2
- Anderson County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Civil procedure -- Tennessee. 1
- County courts -- Tennessee -- Roane County. 1
- Court records -- Tennessee -- Davidson County. 1
- Court records -- Tennessee -- Madison County. 1
- Court records -- Tennessee -- Rhea County. 1
- Court records -- Tennessee. 1
- Davidson County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Deeds 1
- Fentress County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- Politics and government. 1
- Land grants -- Tennessee. 1
- Land tenure -- Tennessee -- Fentress County. 1
- Land tenure -- Tennessee -- Washington County. 1
- Land tenure -- Tennessee. 1
- Landowners -- Tennessee. 1
- Legal documents -- United States. 1
- Madison County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Marriage licenses -- Tennessee. 1
- Marriage records -- Tennessee -- Rhea County. 1
- Marshall County (Tenn.) -- History 1
- Registers of birth, etc. -- Tennessee -- Knox County. 1
- Rhea County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Roane County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slave trade -- Tennessee. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee -- Claiborne County. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee -- Washington County. 1
- Slaves -- Emancipation -- United States. 1
- Tennessee -- Genealogy. 1
- Trials -- Tennessee. 1
- Union County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Voter registration 1
- Washington County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Williamson County (Tenn.) -- History 1 ∧ less