Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 36
455th Bomb Group Records
This collection houses a compilation of papers documenting the 455th Bomb Group including military orders, photographs, and material showing the conception of the 455th Bomb Group Association. These papers provide a wealth of information about the strategic nature of the air war in Europe, the quality of life for pilots and crew members in combat, and the camaraderie of squads following the end of the war.
Andrew McGill Papers
This collection contains documents pertaining to Andrew E. McGill, Private First Class in the U.S. Army during World War II until being officially and honorably discharged in 1945.
Birch Park Henderson Collection
This collection contains documents and a taped interview related to World War II veteran Birch Park Henderson’s experience in the European Theater of war.
Boyd Porter Collection
This collection contains military documents and photographs from Boyd Porter who was deployed in the European Theater during World War II with the 253rd Armored Field Artillery.
Buford Harper Collection
This collection contains materials related to U.S. Army veteran Buford Harper’s experiences in World War II in the European Theater. Included are photostats of articles, correspondence, club membership cards, snapshots, and postcards.
Clifford E. Keenan Papers
This collection houses correspondence, photographs, and military memorabilia documenting Clifford Edward Keenan's service and death with the 505th Parachute Infantry during World War II.
Clifford Hambick Papers
This collection consists of a newspaper article from a 1984 edition of Inside TVA regarding the military service and awards of Clifford Hambick, a soldier in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Clinton E. Riddle Oral History
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
Cortland Bassett Collection
This collection documents the World War II service of Major Cortland A. Bassett. The collection includes correspondence, military documents, photographs, publications, newspaper clippings, and more that document his time with th 10th Armored Division in training and in the European Theater of War.
Donald L. Askerman Collection
This collection contains one copy of "My Forties," Donald L. Askerman's typed memoir of his experiences during World War II.
Edward Laughlin World War II Memoir
This collection consists of Edward P. Laughlin's WWII Memoir A Paratrooper's Journey, written in 1999. He describes his initial Army experiences during basic training, jump school, and demolition school. He also discusses his combat action, including his part in the Battle of the Bulge, and his role in the Berlin occupation.
Edwin Best Collection
This collection features military documents, photographs, maps, and memorabilia from Edwin Best's service with the 618th Ordinance Ammunition Company in the European Theater during World War II.
Everette E. Greene’s “One Soldier’s View of the War”
A 13-page typed manuscript of Everette Greene’s memoir of his service in World War II entitled, “One Soldier’s View of the War.” Greene’s story begins with his enlistment in July 1940 with the U.S. Army, then details his time in the war in Guyana, France, Belgium, and England.
Freytag Family Papers
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
Harry A. Waddington Collection
This collection of correspondence, photographs, and currency documents part of Harry A. Waddington's service in the Third Infantry Division of the Seventh Army Front in both the European and Pacific fronts during World War II.
Harry Leake Collection
This collection contains papers, correspondence, and a personal narrative related to World War II veteran Harry Leake’s experience in the European Theater of war with the Fifth Army.
Henri B. Atkins Collection
This collection includes a copy of Henri B. Atkins' "Recollections of WWII," a typed memoir detailing his experiences during his World War II service.
Hogins Family Collection
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, press clippings, recollections, and ephemera collected by Evelyn Hogins concerning World War II. It also includes material concerning Evelyn's mother, Annie Hogins, and Evelyn's brothers: Clifford, Lawrence "Buster", and Marshall Hogins. The brothers all served in the U.S. military. A significant portion of the collection is comprised of photocopies.
James "J. D." Blankenship Jr. Collection
This collection contains documents, correspondence, and photographs belonging to James David "J. D." Blankenship Jr., a private in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Jerome Jacobs World War II Memoirs
This collection consists of Dr. Jerome Jacobs' World War II memoirs, entitled Some Came Home. The bulk of the material documents the years from 1941 to 1945. Dr. Jacobs, a fighter pilot veteran, recounts his experiences training as a pilot, his involvement in combat and in Operation Market Garden, and some of his experiences as a prisoner of war.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 28
- United States. Army. 26
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 8
- United States. Army Air Forces. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 4
- United States. Navy. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 3
- Humboldt (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Parachute troops -- United States. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. 2
- World War, 1939-1945. 2
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- Germany -- History -- 1945-1955. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Stalag Luft III. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops -- History -- World War, 1939-1945. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 455th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Fighter Group, 364th. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 10th. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 8th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 4th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 83rd. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France -- Normandy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Press coverage. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- South America. 1 ∧ less