Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Arthur B. Cox Jr.’s “Escape through Enemy Territory”
This collection includes one photocopy of Arthur B. Cox Jr.’s autobiography, “Escape through Enemy Territory.” The story details Cox’s service with the U. S. Army Air Corps during World War II in the European Theater, including his experience of being shot down over France, spending time with a French family before escaping to Spain, and spending a month in a Spanish prison before being rescued.
Cecil B. Staley Papers
These papers document Cecil Staley’s service with the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Included are Staley’s typed accounts of his missions in Japan from December 1944 to July 1945.
Clinton E. Riddle Oral History
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
James "J. D." Blankenship Jr. Collection
This collection contains documents, correspondence, and photographs belonging to James David "J. D." Blankenship Jr., a private in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Lindsey Nelson Speech to the East Tennessee Historical Society
This collection is a typed transcript of a speech given by Lindsey Nelson to the East Tennessee Historical Society. Nelson recounts his experiences leading up to and serving during World War II.
M. E. Springer Oral History
In this collection, M. E. Springer discusses his life as a non-combat soldier in World War II and his postwar work conducting soil surveys in Japan.
Neal O'Steen Oral History
In this oral history, Neal O'Steen recounts his childhood in Bedford County, Tennessee and his service as an orderly in Virginia and as a Pharmacist's Mate in San Francisco during World War II. He also describes his service in Virginia during the Korean War.
Robert C. Hornsby Narrative
This collection contains the personal narrative of World War II veteran Colonel Robert C. Hornsby.
Robert G. Osborne Collection
This collection includes photographs, U.S. Naval Forces and Eleventh Amphibious Force documents, newspaper excerpts about Robert G. Osborne and his fellow men, and a brief personal narrative from Osborne about his experience in World War II.
Robert S. Crouse Memoir
A typescript copy of Robert S. Crouse’s memoir, “There I Was…The Wartime Memoir of a Junior Birdman.” This story details Crouse’s time with the U. S. Army Air Corps from his basic training to his service as a bomber pilot in the Mediterranean Theater during World War II.
“The World War II Years: The Memoirs of Jack W. Brugh”
This collection is a typed memoir of Jack Brugh’s experiences during World War II, particularly as a prisoner of war in Germany. Brugh touches on his life prior to joining the military, his enlistment in 1943, basic training, and his time abroad in the European Theater of War. Brugh describes his imprisonment at Stalag IV-B during 1944-1945 following capture during the Battle of the Bulge and his subsequent escape and journey to rejoin American lines.
Washington M. Davis Collection
This collection features a copy of Love, War, and Hate written by Washington M. Davis about his World War II experience.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 4
- United States. Army. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 3
- World War, 1939-1945. 3
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 1
- United States. Navy. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1 ∧ less