Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 29
117th Illinois Volunteer Infantry (Company B) Medical Ledger
Seventy page battlefield ledger for Company B of the 117th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. The ledger includes daily medical reports from January 24th to April 15, 1863. During this time the company was stationed at Ft. Pickering, Tenn. defending Memphis. Patients are listed by name and action (i.e. excused from duty, assigned modified duty, sent to hospital, or quarantine). A small loose piece of paper -- possibly a prescription or doctor's note -- is included among the pages.
Adam Loy Letters
This collection consists of two letters written by Adam Loy of the 89th Indiana Infantry to his wife Sarah Loy. The first letter is written from Memphis, Tennessee and is dated May 21, 1863. The second letter is dated May 23. Loy writes of his experiences in the infantry.
This collection consists of a 1853-1870 ledger book by Attwood from the Memphis, Tennessee area. Transactions involve the purchase of lumber, stone cutters, and sales of building lots. This collection also contains two loose receipts one of which is undated while the other is dated 1878.
Civil War Letter
In this letter to his sister Beulah, Union army soldier Josh reports that his orders are to head to Mississippi on 1863 May 10. He is unhappy at the prospect of leaving his current lodgings at a Secesh woman's home, but glad to escape the rampant spread of smallpox through Memphis, Tennessee.
Civil War Letter
This letter is addressed to Mrs. Sylvia (possibly Julia) Kimbler from Union soldier Maggie in Memphis, Tennessee. The author mentions a few details about the movement of his regiment and inquires as to why Mrs. Kimbler has not yet responded to his four previous letters.
Civil War Photographs and Slides
The six photographs of this collection depict scenes of Union soldiers at Lookout Mountain and also war grounds along the Tennessee River and in Augusta, Georgia during the Civil War. The four lantern slides in this collection depict various Civil War battles and naval scenes.
Donald F. Paine Collection of Hiram Hall, Eugene D. Blanchard, and Stanley Puryear
Donald Paine Collection Regarding Tennessee v. Daisy Root
This collection consists of Donald Paine’s research materials and resulting article regarding the case of Tennessee v. Daisy Alexander Root. The research materials consist of derivative newspaper articles, copies of court documents, contemporary articles, Donald Paine’s notes and correspondence, and a Memphis street map.
Artificial collection of ephemera items related to the history of Knoxville, Tennessee, the Great Smoky Mountains, and more.
Frank M. Renshaw Papers
The Frank M. Renshaw Papers contain a 100 page diary, an 1871 photograph of seven unidentified men, and an 1877 railroad pass. The diary contains entries from January to November, 1862, and tells of the Battles of Fort Pillow, Plum Run Bend, and Memphis, as well as the sailor's time spent on the USS Judge Torrence of the United States Navy.
George Patterson Note and Clippings
In a July 8, 1864 note, Col. George Patterson is commanded to report for citizen train guard in Memphis. Attached to the note are two newspaper clippings related to Special Order No. 74, requiring prominent Memphis secessionists to ride trains from Memphis to LaGrange in order to curb attacks on the railroads by Confederates.
George W. Tryon Letter
In this letter dated March 15, 1915, New York City advertiser George W. Tryon thanks George T. Brodnax of Memphis, Tennessee for the excellent service he received when purchasing a $500 diamond ring from Brodnax's firm. A shipping invoice from George T. Brodnax, Inc., Gold and Silversmiths appears on the reverse of the letter.
J. H. Lowenstein & Brothers Petition
James S. Robinson Apothecary Prescription Ledger
This bound ledger contains approximately 2,250 prescriptions written by Memphis physicians and veterinarians in 1898. The prescriptions themselves are mounted in groups of 8 to 10 per page.
James S. Robinson Apothecary Prescription Ledger
This collection consists of a pharmacy ledger containing approximately 3,000 handwritten prescriptions filled by the James S. Robinson Apothecary in Memphis, Tennessee from 1893 May 2 to 1893 June 7.
John E. McDermot Pass
A travel pass issued by John E. McDermot of the 108th Illinois Infantry at Union headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee on May 2, 1865. It allowed J. T. Willis, his wife, and their four children to pass through Union lines for a period of 30 days without facing arrest.
M. McKay Bonner Papers
This collection houses correspondence, theater programs, circulars, scripts, musical compositions, reviews, minutes of club meetings, newspaper clippings, and personal photographs documenting the life and work of Malcolm McKay Bonner, an African-American man living in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1920s.
Memphis Freedman's Bureau Illustration
This collection consists of a color newspaper illustration depicting the Office the Freedmen's Bureau in Memphis, Tennessee, circa 1866-1868. It shows three seated white men, one of whom is T. A. Walker (the Superintendent of the District of Western Tennessee's Freedmen's Bureau), and a group of African-American men, who seem to be asking for their assistance.
Memphis Freedmen's Bureau Report
This collection consists of a four page report detailing events in the Memphis, Tennessee district of the Freedmen's Bureau during the month of May 1864. The writer, Captain T. A. Walker of the 63rd Infantry Regiment (Colored Troops), describes the city of Memphis (particularly its schools) as well as the contraband camps of Holly Springs, Shiloh, and President's Island.
Memphis Gayoso Gas Company Lawsuit
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 22
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 12
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 9
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- Medicine -- Tennessee. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care. 3
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 3
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 2
- Elections -- Tennessee. 2
- Freedmen -- Tennessee. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Pharmacists -- Tennessee. 2
- Account books -- Tennessee. 1
- Account books. 1
- Alabama -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Banks and banking -- History. 1
- Banks and banking -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Baptist Memorial Hospital (Memphis, Tenn.). 1
- Battle of Plum Run Bend. 1
- Beale Street (Memphis, Tenn.) 1
- Christianity -- United States. 1
- Construction industry -- Accounting. 1
- Dry-goods -- Tennessee. 1
- Education -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Fort Pillow (Tenn.) 1
- Gas-lighting -- United States -- History. 1
- Governors -- Tennessee. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Guidebooks. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Maps. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Guidebooks. 1
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Maps. 1
- Greeneville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Hardware stores -- Tennessee. 1
- Invitation cards 1
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 1
- Jonesborough (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 1
- Lexington (Ky.) -- History. 1
- Lookout Mountain (Appalachian Mountains). 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Lumber trade -- Tennessee. 1
- Mail-order business -- Tennessee. 1
- Marital violence -- Law and legislation -- United States. 1
- Medicine, Military -- United States -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- Commerce. 1
- Music -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Nursing -- Tennessee. 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History. 1
- Photographs. 1
- Railroads -- Illinois. 1
- Railroads -- Southern States. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 1
- Savannah (Ga.) -- History -- Siege, 1864. 1
- Shelby County (Tenn.) 1
- Shelby County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Wisconsin -- Correspondence. 1
- Stores, Retail -- Finance. 1
- Tennessee -- Church history. 1
- Tennessee -- Description and travel. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1951-. 1
- Tennessee River -- Pictorial works. 1
- Tennessee, West. 1
- Theater -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Trials (Murder) -- Tennessee. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African-American. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 117th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 8th (1861-1866). 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 95th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 89th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 43rd (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 16th (1862-1865). Company G. 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 25th (1862-1865). 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1 ∧ less