Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 38
This collection houses a compilation of papers documenting the 455th Bomb Group including military orders, photographs, and material showing the conception of the 455th Bomb Group Association. These papers provide a wealth of information about the strategic nature of the air war in Europe, the quality of life for pilots and crew members in combat, and the camaraderie of squads following the end of the war.
This collection contains materials relating to the 525th Tactical Fighter Squadron during World War II in the 1940s, including publications, histories, photographs, the diaries of S/Sgt. Virgil R. Embry and James L. Griswold, and the personal papers of First Lt. Jack Thornton.
This collection includes a copy of Days Not Forgotten, a memoir of Barwick O. Barfield's World War II experiences as a navigator with the Army Air Forces in the European theater and a prisoner of war.
This collection includes publications kept by Ben Franklin about the Fifteenth Air Force (established in 1943 during WWII). The first publication documents the first 40 years of Fifteenth Air Force 1943-1983, the second and third publications are Fifteenth Air Force “Sorties” from 1989.
This collection features two letters written from Carmichael Bohnson to his aunt Alice - one during his enrollment in the United States Army Air Force at Vanderbilt University and the other from his time spent in the Military Intelligence Service in Washington, D.C.
These papers document Cecil Staley’s service with the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Included are Staley’s typed accounts of his missions in Japan from December 1944 to July 1945.
This collection houses correspondence, photographs, and military memorabilia documenting Clifford Edward Keenan's service and death with the 505th Parachute Infantry during World War II.
This collection consists of military documents, yearbooks, photographs, and correspondence which document Dewey E. Crowe's service in the United States Air Force during World War II.
This collection contains one copy of "My Forties," Donald L. Askerman's typed memoir of his experiences during World War II.
This collection consists of 41 correspondences and commentaries by Edward G. Harris to his mother, grandmother, and grant aunt during his service in the United States Army Air Force during World War II.
This collection features a copy of Elmore Allen Green's recollections of his time in the US Air Force serving in the European theater during World War II.
This collection includes a copy of World War II soldier Frank Baghetti's memoir, "As I Witnessed World War II," along with aa photograph of Baghetti's plane, "Hubba Hubba."
This collection consists of George McDonald's photographs, military documents, and war recollections.
This collection consists of two copies of the Sawbuck Gazette, dated January 24 and July 15, 1995. Also included is a registry of enlisted men's names and their addresses throughout the United States dated 1955.
This collection consists of a folder that contains letters and a transcription of the diary belonging to Howard O. Lane, bomber in the U.S. Air Force during World War II.
Transcription of an oral history conducted with James J. Akins, who served as a pilot during World War II in the European theater. Akins was captured by German forces in 1944 and held for almost a year as a prisoner of war. During his service, he performed in several important raids on German forces. In his interview, he dictates experiences from before, during, and after the war.
This collection contains materials pertaining to James R. Eddy, member of the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II. The documents include Eddy's correspondence and military papers, newspaper articles, and photographs taken in Tinian, Saipan, and Guam during the war.
This collection consists of Dr. Jerome Jacobs' World War II memoirs, entitled Some Came Home. The bulk of the material documents the years from 1941 to 1945. Dr. Jacobs, a fighter pilot veteran, recounts his experiences training as a pilot, his involvement in combat and in Operation Market Garden, and some of his experiences as a prisoner of war.
This collection features John Crowe's personal narrative, "Days in the Wild Blue Yonder," written about his service in the European Theater during World War II.
- United States. Army Air Forces. 29
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 26
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 9
- World War, 1939-1945. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 4
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 3
- Correspondence. 2
- Humboldt (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Parachute troops -- United States. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Air Force. 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 2
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- Jefferson City (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Prisoners of war 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- Stalag Luft III. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Transport Command. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 455th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (Heavy), 466th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Fighter Group, 364th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Fighter Squadron, 525th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Photo Reconnaissance Squadron, 33rd. 1
- United States. Army. 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps. 1
- United States. Navy. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- History. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Reconnaissance operations, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- Netherlands. 1 ∧ less