Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 58
62nd General Hospital History
This collection houses a manuscript describing the history of the 62nd General Hospital and the lives of two soldiers, Jessie Smith and Thomas Bond, who served with the unit. This hospital company served in the European Theater of Operations in World War II from 1943 June 25 to 1945 August 1.
455th Bomb Group Records
This collection houses a compilation of papers documenting the 455th Bomb Group including military orders, photographs, and material showing the conception of the 455th Bomb Group Association. These papers provide a wealth of information about the strategic nature of the air war in Europe, the quality of life for pilots and crew members in combat, and the camaraderie of squads following the end of the war.
Andrew McGill Papers
This collection contains documents pertaining to Andrew E. McGill, Private First Class in the U.S. Army during World War II until being officially and honorably discharged in 1945.
Arthur Eugene Kiser Collection
This collection includes a news clipping from 1995 featuring a tribute to Arthur Eugene Kiser, who was killed in action January 16, 1945. This article commemorates the 50 years that had passed since his death near Eupen, Belgium at the age of 23-years-old.
Birch Park Henderson Collection
This collection contains documents and a taped interview related to World War II veteran Birch Park Henderson’s experience in the European Theater of war.
Boyd Porter Collection
This collection contains military documents and photographs from Boyd Porter who was deployed in the European Theater during World War II with the 253rd Armored Field Artillery.
Buford Harper Collection
This collection contains materials related to U.S. Army veteran Buford Harper’s experiences in World War II in the European Theater. Included are photostats of articles, correspondence, club membership cards, snapshots, and postcards.
Charles Brakebill Papers
This collection consists of correspondence regarding a World War II prisoner of war who was a member of the 106th Infantry Division in 1945. It also contains the Railsplitter newspaper from May 1945.
Clifford E. Keenan Papers
This collection houses correspondence, photographs, and military memorabilia documenting Clifford Edward Keenan's service and death with the 505th Parachute Infantry during World War II.
Clifford Hambick Papers
This collection consists of a newspaper article from a 1984 edition of Inside TVA regarding the military service and awards of Clifford Hambick, a soldier in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Clinton E. Riddle Oral History
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
Coleman E. Baird Papers
This collection houses official congratulatory victory letters, translated German newspapers, secret military reports from corps artillery headquarters, German POW Interrogation reports, confidential G-2 reports, and other World War II ephemera collected by Captain Coleman E. Baird of Tennessee between 1944 and 1945.
Cortland Bassett Collection
This collection documents the World War II service of Major Cortland A. Bassett. The collection includes correspondence, military documents, photographs, publications, newspaper clippings, and more that document his time with th 10th Armored Division in training and in the European Theater of War.
Donald L. Askerman Collection
This collection contains one copy of "My Forties," Donald L. Askerman's typed memoir of his experiences during World War II.
Edgar C. Wilson Oral History
In this interview, Edgar C. Wilson discusses the end of his service in World War II and his postwar life in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Edward Laughlin World War II Memoir
This collection consists of Edward P. Laughlin's WWII Memoir A Paratrooper's Journey, written in 1999. He describes his initial Army experiences during basic training, jump school, and demolition school. He also discusses his combat action, including his part in the Battle of the Bulge, and his role in the Berlin occupation.
Edwin Best Collection
This collection features military documents, photographs, maps, and memorabilia from Edwin Best's service with the 618th Ordinance Ammunition Company in the European Theater during World War II.
Everette E. Greene’s “One Soldier’s View of the War”
A 13-page typed manuscript of Everette Greene’s memoir of his service in World War II entitled, “One Soldier’s View of the War.” Greene’s story begins with his enlistment in July 1940 with the U.S. Army, then details his time in the war in Guyana, France, Belgium, and England.
Francis O. Ayers Oral History
The Francis O. Ayers Oral History constitutes a transcript of an oral history interview with Francis O. Ayers conducted by Kate Landdeck and Ramaah Sadasivam for the Center for the Study of War and Society's Veterans Oral History Project. The interview focuses primarily on Ayers' World War II experiences as a U. S. Army Paratrooper, but also covers some pre- and post-war memories.
Freytag Family Papers
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 38
- United States. Army. 25
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 10
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 9
- United States. Army Air Forces. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 5
- United States. Navy. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 4
- World War, 1939-1945. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. 3
- Humboldt (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Parachute troops -- United States. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Air Force. 2
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany -- Propaganda. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 2
- Agricultural education. 1
- Anzio Beachhead, 1944. 1
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- Germany -- History -- 1945-1955. 1
- Great Britain -- History, Military -- 20th century. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Reconstruction (1939-1951) -- Germany. 1
- Stalag Luft III. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops -- History -- World War, 1939-1945. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 455th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Fighter Group, 364th. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 10th. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 8th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 4th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 83rd. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- V-mail. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Asia. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France -- Normandy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Hospitals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Military intelligence -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Press coverage. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- South America. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 1 ∧ less
- American Red Cross 1