Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 39
This collection houses one photograph, titled "A Skin Game," depicting three African-American men playing (and humorously cheating at) a game of poker. Information printed on the photograph itself reads "Copyright 1896 by Knaffl & Bro, Knoxville, Tenn."
Donated by Dr. Alan S. Heilman himself, this postcard collection documents thirty years of friendly correspondence between academic acquaintances. These botanical photographic postcards provide brief insight to his time as a professor at the University of Tennessee from 1980 to 1997, sampling his continued passion for botanical photography in his retirement through the year 2009.
This collection is that of Albert F. Tramposch, Staff Sergeant of the 529th Fighter Squadron stationed in China during World War Two. The years spanning this collection are from 1942 to 1946 and contain diaries, photographs, memorabilia, pamphlets and booklets, publications, maps and personal military files.
This collection contains approximately 500 photos and clippings pertaining to silent film star Alice Joyce.
This collection consists of photographs, publications, maps, and military ephemera relating to Charles Kelly’s service in the United States Air Force, during World War II. Kelly was a member of the fifth bomber command group, which served in the Philippines.
The six photographs of this collection depict scenes of Union soldiers at Lookout Mountain and also war grounds along the Tennessee River and in Augusta, Georgia during the Civil War. The four lantern slides in this collection depict various Civil War battles and naval scenes.
This collection consists of books, currency, maps, negatives, notes, photographs, and press clippings pertaining to Cornell Houston's service in the United States Air Force during World War II.
This collection consists of a number of portrait photographs taken by 40 Knoxville photography firms between approximately 1870 and 1900.
This collection features a single, mounted black and white photograph of 6 female patients and 15 female nurses from the Eastern State Hospital for the Insane dating circa 1915.
This photograph album, containing 96 photographs circa 1900, documents a Nile voyage from Alexandria to Khartoum, situated at the confluence of the White and Blue Nile. The album includes scenic images of travelers, banks of the Nile, cities and towns visited as well as archaeological sites. This album was created shortly after Sudan was put under British-Egyptian administration in 1899.
This collection contains 47 photographs of temples and antiquities located in Upper Egypt, including over 30 images of the Egyptian temples of Karnak, Luxor, Thebes, Philae and Abu Simbel. Also included are general views and close-ups of architectural details, statues, or bas-reliefs.
Occasionally, the images feature the region's native inhabitants, ancient structures still in modern use, and ships - including Egyptian dahabiyas and steamships - on the Nile.
This collection consists primarily of photographs, slides, and negatives of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park that were taken during Dr. Kintner's frequent hikes through the park. Also included in the collection are a Kodaslide Stereo Viewer II and many stereoscopic slides, a cd with several photos and a spreadsheet of every photo in the collection, and two manuscripts by Dr. Kintner.
This collection contains the photograph album of Elizabeth Vanuxem Kennedy. Only two photographs are dated, both from March 1894, but other photographs range from circa 1880 to circa 1920. Some photographs are of band members, possibly actors and actresses, and family portraits.
The George P. Palo Papers, circa 1860s-1990s (bulk 1920s-1990s), contains the personal and professional papers of George P. Palo, former Chief Engineer of TVA, and his wife Annie G. Palo. The collection consists of articles, biographical documents, correspondence, school papers from M. I. T., photographs, and travel material from Europe, USA, Russia, China, etc. The bulk of the collection spans George's career with TVA and his experiences with civil engineering.
The Glass Plate Negative Collection consists of hundreds of glass plate negatives taken in the United States and internationally between 1903 and 1936. Siblings Anna Chandler and S. Virgil Chandler collected and organized the glass plate negatives by state, U.S. and North American region, and international country. The collection also includes uncategorized glass plate negatives, as well as photographic prints and negatives derived from the glass plates.
This collection contains one framed photograph by H. Carl Waite (front row, right side, hat over left elbow) of post office employees in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The photograph is dated May 19, 1919.
This collections consists of two photographs of Hinton Rowan Helper, one at the age of 20 and one at approximately 70-75 years old. Accompanying the photos is a letter about the photos dated November 18, 1970 from Memory F. Mitchell to Gerald Gaither, research assistant in the department of history for the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- Photographs. 25
- Photographs -- 20th century. 10
- Photographs -- 19th century. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 4
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 2
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) 2
- Egypt -- Description and travel. 2
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Pictorial works. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Motion picture actors and actresses -- United States -- Portraits. 2
- Panoramic photographs 2
- Photograph albums -- United States. 2
- Photographers -- Tennessee. 2
- Portrait photography -- Tennessee. 2
- Portrait photography -- United States. 2
- Postcards. 2
- Sudan -- Description and travel. 2
- Tennessee -- Pictorial works. 2
- Tennessee, East. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- United States. Air Force. 2
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 2
- Abolition movement -- 1840-1850. 1
- Actors and actresses -- United States. 1
- Africa, North -- Description and travel. 1
- African American physicians -- History. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Botanists -- Tennessee. 1
- Botany -- Research. 1
- Botany -- Study and teaching. 1
- Civil engineering. 1
- Cocke County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Color photography. 1
- Correspondence. 1
- Dentists -- Tennessee. 1
- Diaries. 1
- Dramatists, American -- 20th century. 1
- Ecuador -- Aerial photographs. 1
- Education -- Tennessee, East. 1
- Education -- Tennessee. 1
- Family life -- Tennessee. 1
- Farmers -- Tennessee. 1
- First Presbyterian Church (Knoxville, Tenn.). 1
- Fraternal organizations. 1
- Hospitals -- Tennessee. 1
- Ijams Nature Center (Tenn.) 1
- Ijams family. 1
- Lookout Mountain (Appalachian Mountains) -- Pictorial works. 1
- Lookout Mountain (Appalachian Mountains). 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Motion picture actors and actresses -- United States. 1
- Motion pictures -- United States. 1
- Nashville, Battle of, Nashville, Tenn., 1864. 1
- Photography -- Plates. 1
- Photography -- Studios and dark rooms. 1
- Photography, Stereoscopic. 1
- Portrait photography 1
- Postal service -- Employees. 1
- Postal service -- Tennessee. 1
- Postcards -- Tennessee. 1
- Psychiatry -- History. 1
- Silent Films 1
- Stereoscopic views -- Tennessee. 1
- Teachers -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee River -- Pictorial works. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pictorial works. 1
- United States. Army. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Buildings. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Faculty. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 1
- Voyages and travels. 1
- Williams, Tennessee. 1911-1983 -- Photographs. 1
- Wilson County (Tenn.) 1
- Women teachers -- Tennessee. 1
- World War, 1914-1918. 1
- floral photography 1 ∧ less